Sell ATN X-Sight 4k Pro for THor LT ?

I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with night vision, so I'd like to solicit some experienced opinions. Here is my situation:
  • I would prefer a scope that allows me to hunt both day and night, so I'm wondering if a thermal scope will work effectively during the day.
    • If I'm planning an exclusive day hunt then I'll put on a regular scope, but sometimes I'll hunt both day and night and don't want to be required to carry around two scopes and then switch them.
  • My X-Sight 4k Pro malfunctioned. I sent it in for warranty repair. They sent me back a new-in-box unit. So I have the opportunity to sell the new-in-box unit at a fair price.
  • Selling the 4k Pro, unused integrated rangefinder, and extra illuminator would allow me to afford the new Thor LT.
So do I make the switch to thermal? I'm tending to think 'yes', but I'd like other's opinions. (Yes, I'd love to go with a Pulsar or other brand, but I believe the ATN THor is the only one that will be in my price range for the foreseeable future.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

I hunt almost exclusively with thermal. I do a little digital NV hunting when I get a unit to test, but haven't hunted with a daylight scope in years.

While I am not a fan of that brand, for daylight hunting, the X-Sight is going to offer a better image than thermal, but the thermal will kick its butt at night, unless you get a piece of crap with such low resolution as the Thor LT, or are planning on hunting the barnyard around the house and are only using it for very short distances. It has a low resolution (160) and small objective lens. These will continually look out of focus.

Similarly, I would not suggest a Pulsar, RXQ30V, though it has much better resolution, it just isn't a great optic. You will get better resolution at distance with the X-Sight at night.

I would STRONGLY suggest no buying a Thor LT until after you at least see some videos from real customers using it in the field where they state the targeted quarry distance. Do not trust any advertisement videos from ATN (or any manufacturer). Because of a lack of depth of field with thermal, it would often be hard to tell whether the animal being shot in a video is 30, 50, 80, or 150 yards unless the hunter posts the distance. I try to do this with all of my videos so that the user knows how well the scope was performing at the given distance and conditions. When close enough with almost any thermal, things can look pretty darned good, and that can be really deceiving.

Currently, I see no field videos with the ATN Thor LT on Youtube from any owners. I see a couple promo vids from ATN and I see a couple Shot Shot vids, and that is it.

DoubleNaughtSpy, thank you! That is the kind of experienced information I was hoping to receive. It addresses concerns that I wouldn't think to examine due to lack of experience.

I wondered about the THor LT and how it could be so low in price compared to other thermal units. It looks like I should just go ahead and stick with the X-Sight 4k. Until the objective focus malfunctioned it was okay, albeit heavy. The resolution wasn't such that I'd want to put it on a target or long range varmint rifle, but it was adequate for day or night coyote and hog hunting at less than 300 yards. (I've never shot either at more than 125 yards and probably won't in the areas I'm currently able to hunt.)

I know it's hijacking my own thread, but let me ask you. What is the lowest cost quality thermal unit you would suggest?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Right now, the Pulsar Apex XQ38 or 50 (particularly the 50) offer the best bang for the buck. After that the new Pulsar Thermion XQ38 or 50 will be replacing and should be reasonably inexpensive as thermal goes, but that is all very relative. ;-)