Self started traditions

Wild Bill Bucks

I have 3 children who are all grown now, and have families of their own. When they were about 5 or 6 years old, I would take them squirrel hunting on the very first day of season. We would always clean and roast the very first squirrel of the season, at the end of the day, over an open fire, with a hickory stick run through it.

This was always a really big deal to my kids, and now they do the same thing with all of their children. Always leads to some good memories being told over the fire while we're waiting for the squirrel to get done.

Any of you guys have anything, you do as a tradition at your camps?

buck460XVR

You mean like watchin' Escanaba in da Moonlight the night before openin' mornin'?

It's like Christmas.....but with guns!

500px-EidM_336_03.jpg

TheNatureBoy

When we got to our hunting camp we used to watch "The Outlaw Josey Wales" the night before open season (deer) started. Put us in the right frame of mind :)

Youngshooter

Quite simply put as what we call a "Feast fit for kings" the night before opener. Sit around the fire and blabber about this and that, or "fixing the world" as we call it! :D

Daggitt

Home made Chicken and Dumplings. The chicken is cooked on the grill with hickory chips. Followed by Crown Royal while everyone assembles their gear for the next morning. It's my favorite night of the year.

tchunter

We had to move our opening day of deer season celebration to the weekend before. It tends to get a little wild and we were paying for it on opening day. Our family and friends bring a bunch of monster bucks and hang them all over my dads shop. Meanwhile we roast a hind quarter from a deer from the year before. Once the time is right we lower the first buck my dad ever got mounted down to about 4 feet on the wall. Then my little brother who is now chief takes a set of rattling antlers and fights the buck on the wall. We call him the deer god. From there the horns get passed to everyone, those not willing get shamed out of the shop! Sounds a little crazy but man its fun. Oh ya, 23 years running.

sc928porsche

Every year, opening weekend of deer season is the family reunion. I havnt missed it in 40 years. Camp seems to stay about the same size though. My kids go each year too. Uncles are pretty much gone now and so are the Aunts, but a lot of their children take their place. My grandfather started this tradition and I hope it keep going long after I am gone.

Pahoo

Who doesn't love popcorn

I have a popcorn popper that can be used over campfire. The smell fills the air. I dump the kernals, into a large brown paper sack. Butter, salt and shake each batch till the sack is full. We pass the back around and take turns getting one handful of popcorn. What falls on the ground will be gone by morning. :)

Be Safe !!!

Rembrandt

Get together at the "Hunting Lodge" and have a wild game feed.....show off latest hunting toys and game camera pics. Followed by watching "Jeremiah Johnson" and Larry Huffmans "Legendary Whitetails" video of the largest deer ever taken.....(Hole-in-the-horn, Jordan buck, Breen buck, Raveling buck, and others.)

big al hunter

The muzzloader elk marks the start of our big game seasons. Several years ago we started cooking a roast for dinner the night after opening day. Opening morning we hunt the morning in such a way that we end up in the best mushroom growing forest. We pick a bag full of chantrelles to put in the pot. At lunch we prep the roast, potatoes, carrots, onion, and fresh mushrooms. Put it in the oven at 250 and go hunting. When we come back to camp after dark it smells heavenly and tastes soooo goood. My son bugs me all morning "when are we gonna pick mushrooms, is it time yet". I love it, good food great memories