Self Defense Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photon Guy

Earlier I started a thread discussing this specific case of a store owner or the son of a store owner shooting a crook. The thread got off topic and was closed and the person who closed it said another thread could be started to discuss self defense rights. So that's what Im starting this thread for and I don't want it to just focus on using guns in self defense but self defense in general. Self defense isn't always done with guns its done with other weapons or bare hands. So that's what I want to discuss in this thread, self defense in general and the consequences for exercising that right.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Photon Guy said:
...Self defense isn't always done with guns its done with other weapons or bare hands. So that's what I want to discuss in this thread, self defense in general and the consequences for exercising that right.

So let's start with an overview of the law related to the threat or use of force in self defense (this was included in the other thread but remains applicable here).

The important thing to remember at the outset of any discussion of the use of force in self defense is that our society has, for hundreds of years, frowned on threatening another human or intentionally hurting or killing another human. Threatening someone or intentionally hurting or killing him is prima facie (on its face) a crime everywhere. However, our laws have long recognized that under certain limited circumstances a threat or an actual act of violence may be excused or justified.

You won't have the final say about whether your act of violence was excusable or justified self defense. That decision will be made by others after the fact -- the prosecutor and/or a grand jury and/or, if you're unlucky, the jury at your trial.

So let's take a general, high level overview of use-of-force law in the United States.

But first the usual caveats: (1) I'm a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer; (2) This is not legal advice, but rather it's general information on a legal topic; and (3) this is intended as a general overview without reference to the laws of any particular State, and as such it doesn't consider specific state laws that might allow justification of a use of force in some circumstance not mentioned here.

Now let's look at the basic legal reality of the use of force in self defense.

1. Our society takes a dim view of threatening or using force against and/or intentionally hurting or killing another human. In every State the threat or use of force and/or intentionally hurting or killing another human is prima facie (on its face) a crime of one sort or another.

• However, for hundreds of years our law has recognized that there are some circumstances in which such an intentional act of violence against another human might be legally justified.

• Exactly what would be necessary to establish that violence against someone else was justified will depend on (1) the applicable law where the event takes place; and (2) exactly what happened and how it happened, which will have to be judged on the basis of evidence gathered after the fact.

• Someone who initiated a conflict will almost never be able to legally justify an act of violence against another.

2. The amount of force an actor may justifiably use in self defense will depend on the level of the threat.

• Under the laws of most States, lethal force may be justified when a reasonable person in like circumstance would conclude that a use of lethal force is necessary to prevent the otherwise unavoidable, imminent death or grave bodily injury to an innocent. And to establish that, the actor claiming justified use of lethal force would need to show that the person against whom the lethal force was used reasonably had --

• Ability, i. e., the power to deliver force sufficient to cause death or grave bodily harm;

• Opportunity, i. e., the assailant was capable of immediately deploying such force; and

• put an innocent in Jeopardy, i. e., the assailant was acting in such a manner that a reasonable and prudent person would conclude that he had the intent to kill or cripple.

• "Ability" doesn't necessarily require a weapon. Disparity of force, e. g., a large, young, strong person attacking a small, old, frail person, or force of numbers, could show "Ability."

• "Opportunity" could be established by showing proximity, lack of barriers or the like.

• "Jeopardy" (intent) could be inferred from overt acts (e. g., violent approach) and/or statements of intent.

• Unless the standard justifying the use of lethal force is met, use of some lesser level of violence might be legally justified to prevent a harmful or offensive, unconsented to contact by another person.

• A threat of force or the use of force may be legally excused or justified only for the purposes of stopping the threat. Once the threat has ended, the continued threat or use of force can no longer be excused or justified and may result in criminal (and civil) liability.

3. If you have thus used violence against another person, your actions will be investigated as a crime, because on the surface that's what it is.

• Sometimes there will be sufficient evidence concerning what happened and how it happened readily apparent to the police for the police and/or prosecutor to quickly conclude that your actions were justified. If that's the case, you will be quickly exonerated of criminal responsibility, although in many States you might have to still deal with a civil suit.

• If the evidence is not clear, you may well be arrested and perhaps even charged with a criminal offense. If that happens you will need to affirmatively assert that you were defending yourself and put forth evidence that you at least prima facie satisfied the applicable standard justifying your act of violence.

• Of course, if your use of force against another human took place in or immediately around your home, your justification for your use of violence could be more readily apparent or easier to establish -- maybe.

• Again, it still depends on what happened and how it happened. For example, was the person you shot a stranger, an acquaintance, a friend, a business associate or relative? Did the person you shot forcibly break into your home or was he invited? Was the contact tumultuous from the beginning, or did things begin peaceably and turn violent, how and why?

• In the case of a stranger forcibly breaking into your home, your justification for the use of lethal force would probably be obvious. The laws of most States provide some useful protections for someone attacked in his home, which protections make it easier and a more certain matter for your acts to be found justified.

• It could however be another matter to establish your justification if you have to use force against someone you invited into your home in a social context which later turns violent.

• It could also be another matter if you left the safety of your house to confront someone on your property.

4. Good, general overviews of the topic can be found at UseofForce.us and in this booklet by Marty Hayes at the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network.

5. Sometimes a defensive use of lethal force will have grave consequences for the defender, even when ultimately exonerated. For example --

• This couple, arrested in early April and finally exonerated under Missouri's Castle Doctrine in early June. And no doubt after incurring expenses for bail and a lawyer, as well as a couple of month's anxiety, before being cleared.

• Larry Hickey, in gun friendly Arizona: He was arrested, spent 71 days in jail, went through two different trials ending in hung juries, was forced to move from his house, etc., before the DA decided it was a good shoot and dismissed the charges.

• Mark Abshire in Oklahoma: Despite defending himself against multiple attackers on his own lawn in a fairly gun-friendly state with a "Stand Your Ground" law, he was arrested, went to jail, charged, lost his job and his house, and spent two and a half years in the legal meat-grinder before finally being acquitted.

• Harold Fish, also in gun friendly Arizona: He was still convicted and sent to prison. He won his appeal, his conviction was overturned, and a new trial was ordered. The DA chose to dismiss the charges rather than retry Mr. Fish.

• Gerald Ung: He was attacked by several men, and the attack was captured on video. He was nonetheless charged and brought to trial. He was ultimately acquitted.

• Some good folks in clear jeopardy and with no way to preserve their lives except by the use of lethal force against other humans. Yet that happened under circumstances in which their justification for the use of lethal force was not immediately clear. While each was finally exonerated, it came at great emotional and financial cost. And perhaps there but for the grace of God will go one of us.

• And note also that two of those cases arose in States with a Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground law in effect at the time.

Now, as to not saying anything to police, if you're going to claim self defense that might not be the best idea.

But Don't Say Too Much.

Call 911. Be the first to report the incident and do so immediately. If you don't report it, or if there's a long delay, you will appear to have a guilty conscience.

Then, having taken LFI-I with Massad Ayoob, spending time with him and helping with a class of his in Sierra Vista, AZ not too long ago, I'll go along with his recommendation for when the police arrive.

1. While one has a right to remain silent, clamming up is what the bad guys do. Following a self defense incident, you'll want to act like one of the good guys. You also won't want the investigating officers to miss any evidence or possible witnesses. What if the responding officers miss your assailant's knife that you saw fall down the storm drain? What if they don't know about the guy you saw pick up your assailant's gun and walk off with it?

2. At the same time, you don't want to say too much. You will most likely be rattled. You will also most likely be suffering from various well known stress induced distortions of perception.

3. So Massad Ayoob recommends:

• Saying something like, "That person (or those people) attacked me." You are thus immediately identifying yourself as the victim. It also helps get the investigation off on the right track.

• Saying something like, "I will sign a complaint." You are thus immediately identifying the other guys(s) as the criminal(s).

• Pointing out possible evidence, especially evidence that may not be immediate apparent. You don't want any such evidence to be missed.

• Pointing out possible witnesses before they vanish.

• Then saying something like, "I'm not going to say anything more right now. You'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours, after I've talked with my lawyer."

Pleading Self Defense is Very Different From the Common Lines of Defense to a Criminal Charge.

A lot of folks point to the "Don't Talk to the Police" video that is making the rounds on gun boards. But it is about a police contact in general. It works fine when you aren't claiming self defense, and it's up to the State to prove your guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. But things work differently if you are pleading self defense.

Basically --

1. The prosecutor must prove the elements of the underlying crime beyond a reasonable doubt -- basically that you intentionally shot the guy. But if you are pleading self defense, you will have admitted that, so we go to step 2.

2. Now you must present evidence from which the trier of fact could infer that your conduct met the applicable legal standard justifying the use of lethal force in self defense. Depending on the State, you may not have to prove it, i. e., you may not have to convince the jury. But you will have to at least present a prima facie case, i. e., sufficient evidence which, if true, establishes that you have satisfied all legal elements necessary to justify your conduct.

3. Now it's the prosecutor's burden to attack your claim and convince the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not act in justified self defense.

Let's go through that again.

In an ordinary criminal prosecution, the defendant doesn't have to say anything. He doesn't have to present any evidence. The entire burden falls on the prosecution. The prosecution has to prove all the elements of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

If the crime you're charged with is, for example, manslaughter, the prosecution must prove that you were there, you fired the gun, you intended to fire the gun (or were reckless), and the guy you shot died. In the typical manslaughter prosecution, the defendant might by way of his defense try to plant a seed that you weren't there (alibi defense), or that someone else might have fired the gun, or that it was an accident. In each case the defendant doesn't have to actually prove his defense. He merely has to create a reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors.

So in such cases, it probably doesn't pay for you to say anything to the police, at least early on. Let them do the work of trying to amass evidence to prove the case against you. There's no reason for you to help.

But if you are going to be claiming self defense, you will wind up admitting all the elements of what would, absent legal justification, constitute a crime. You will necessarily admit that you were there, that you fired the gun, and that you intended to shoot the decedent. Your defense is that your use of lethal force in self defense satisfied the applicable legal standard and that, therefore, it was justified.

So now you would have to affirmatively present evidence from which the trier of fact could infer that your conduct met the applicable legal standard justifying the use of lethal force in self defense. In some jurisdictions, you may not have to prove it, i. e., you don't have to convince the jury. But you will at least have to present a prima facie case, i. e., sufficient evidence which, if true, establishes that you have satisfied all legal elements necessary to justify your conduct.

Then it will be the prosecutor's burden to attack your claim and convince the jury (in some jurisdictions, he will have to convince the jury beyond a reasonable doubt) that you did not act in justified self defense. And even if you didn't have to prove self defense (only present a prima facie case), the more convincing your story, and your evidence, is, the harder it will be for the prosecutor to meet his rebuttal burden.

rickyrick

Simple for me:
I am a product of a biological ecosystem. Each creature on this planet has a right to defend itself if capable.
If you don't believe me, I have a simple experiment; try to catch a southern fox squirrel with your bare hands and see what happens.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
rickyrick said:
I am a product of a biological ecosystem. Each creature on this planet has a right to defend itself if capable.
If you don't believe me, I have a simple experiment; try to catch a southern fox squirrel with your bare hands and see what happens.
Twaddle!

The issues here are the use of force by humans in a human society and the legal consequences when the actor claims the use of force was in justified self defense.

rickyrick

Yep, and that's my point. I posted that in a troll like manner to illicit a response. You will be considered guilty, doesn't matter that you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. You will have to prove your innocence from the initial contact with authorities. Hopefully, if a person must defend themselves, they can prove innocence or justification fairly quickly.

K_Mac

I always find this discussion interesting, and sometimes educational. One thing that always makes me pause is the idea that if I start something that ultimately causes me to use violence in self-defense, I will probably have a tough time convincing the authorities, and maybe a jury of having no other choice. For those of us (like me) with a temper and big mouth that is a serious reality.

Another interesting aspect of self-defense in my state (Illinois) is while I can legally carry a concealed handgun and be protected by law from civil suit if its use is ruled justified, possession or use of ostensibly less lethal weapons, e.g., batons or tasers is illegal. This limits options in a way that doesn't make sense to me. Until recent 2A rulings by the US Supreme Court even handguns were prohibited, so I suppose we're moving forward...

Frank Ettin

Administrator
rickyrick said:
...You will be considered guilty, doesn't matter that you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. You will have to prove your innocence from the initial contact with authorities. Hopefully, if a person must defend themselves, they can prove innocence or justification fairly quickly....
True enough.

Let's look at the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" in the context of self defense.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a casual way of referring to the Common Law principle of the presumption of innocence. The presumption innocence is simply a legal rule affecting the burden of proof in a criminal trial. At a criminal trial the prosecution has the burden of proving all the elements of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt; and should the prosecution fail to do so, the defendant is, because of the presumption of innocence, entitled as a to an acquittal.

However, when you are charged with, for example, manslaughter with a gun and claim in your defense to that charge that your act of violence was in justified self defense, you necessarily turn the presumption of innocence on its head. Ordinarily the prosecutor to prove that you committed that crime would need to prove that you had a gun and intentionally fired it at the decedent. But if you claim self defense, you must necessarily admit that you had a gun and intentionally used it to shoot the guy who died -- you are admitting what the prosecutor ordinarily would have to prove. So now, since you've claimed self defense, he doesn't have prove those things because you've admitted them.

That shifts the burden to you to (depending on the jurisdiction) at least put on evidence showing that you satisfied all the elements necessary to meet the applicable legal standard for justification. If you have done so, the burden shifts back to the prosecution to rebut your claim, and the less convincing you have been the easier it will be for the prosecution to do that. (And if you don't make your prima facie case of justification, the jury probably won't be instructed on self defense.)

K_Mac

rickyrick we are to be considered innocent until proven guilty of any crime. If I use deadly force against another person in self-defense, I am guilty of using deadly force by my own admission! Using such force, as Frank said, is a crime, UNLESS it is justified and that has to be determined based on the facts of the case.

kilimanjaro

Like K-Mac said, a temper and a big mouth can engender the serious reality of making or not making your self-defense case, even turning self-defense into manslaughter.

Speak softly when you carry a big stick. When things turn into mutual combat, don't expect to be given much benefit of doubt.

wogpotter

I'm with the "Every living creature has the instinct for self-defense." School of thought.
There used to be a famous sign at a zoo which read:
"This animal is dangerous, when attacked it defends itself".

IMO its so essentially basic its not even mentioned in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. Because of that I don't think the question of "rights" is even relevant.

It's not without consequences though & Cause & effect definitely come into play. That's why we have a legal system, to determine if the action was, in a final analysis "reasonable".

Spats McGee

Administrator
K_Mac said:
rickyrick we are to be considered innocent until proven guilty of any crime. If I use deadly force against another person in self-defense, I am guilty of using deadly force by my own admission! Using such force, as Frank said, is a crime, UNLESS it is justified and that has to be determined based on the facts of the case.
Mounting a legal defense to most "garden variety" crimes consists largely of saying "the State can't prove that my client did X, Y and Z," where X, Y and Z are the necessary elements of the crime at issue. Defending a deadly force incident is a whole different kettle of fish. Most of the time, one of those consists of saying, "my client did it, but he had a really, really good reason." (To paraphrase, obviously . . . )
wogpotter said:
I'm with the "Every living creature has the instinct for self-defense." School of thought. . . .

IMO its so essentially basic its not even mentioned in the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. Because of that I don't think the question of "rights" is even relevant.
I think it's much more plausible that neither the US Constitution nor the Bill of Rights didn't mention "every living creature" because they weren't intended to regulate "every living creature." They were written to regulate the government of humans.

Glenn E. Meyer

The obviousness of using lethal force in self-defense is not obvious to some deeper thinkers.

There is a significant philosophical and religious vein that feels that all humanity has a right to redemption and salvation. If you use lethal force to defend yourself, you remove that chance from your attacker. Thus, you shouldn't use lethal force. It is the more noble position to sacrifice yourself.

Life is more complicated than squirrels.

wogpotter

I think it's much more plausible that neither the US Constitution nor the Bill of Rights didn't mention "every living creature" because they weren't intended to regulate "every living creature."
Which wasn't the point.
The point was it was so blazingly obvious a thing enumerating it would have been redundant.

Notice also I am addressing ALL self Defense, not just lethal.

Spats McGee

Administrator
wogpotter said:
Spats McGee said:
I think it's much more plausible that neither the US Constitution nor the Bill of Rights didn't mention "every living creature" because they weren't intended to regulate "every living creature."
Which wasn't the point.
The point was it was so blazingly obvious a thing enumerating it would have been redundant.

Notice also I am addressing ALL self Defense, not just lethal.
Hogwash.

Here's what you wrote, with emphasis supplied.
wogpotter said:
I'm with the "Every living creature has the instinct for self-defense." School of thought.
There used to be a famous sign at a zoo which read:
"This animal is dangerous, when attacked it defends itself".

Your post goes from "every living creature has the instinct for self-defense" to "its so basic that it's not even mentioned in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights." An animal's instinct for self-preservation has nothing to do with why certain items were included in, or omitted from, the Constitution.

Photon Guy

Let's look at the notion of "innocent until proven guilty" in the context of self defense.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a casual way of referring to the Common Law principle of the presumption of innocence. The presumption innocence is simply a legal rule affecting the burden of proof in a criminal trial. At a criminal trial the prosecution has the burden of proving all the elements of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt; and should the prosecution fail to do so, the defendant is, because of the presumption of innocence, entitled as a to an acquittal.

However, when you are charged with, for example, manslaughter with a gun and claim in your defense to that charge that your act of violence was in justified self defense, you necessarily turn the presumption of innocence on its head. Ordinarily the prosecutor to prove that you committed that crime would need to prove that you had a gun and intentionally fired it at the decedent. But if you claim self defense, you must necessarily admit that you had a gun and intentionally used it to shoot the guy who died -- you are admitting what the prosecutor ordinarily would have to prove. So now, since you've claimed self defense, he doesn't have prove those things because you've admitted them.

That shifts the burden to you to (depending on the jurisdiction) at least put on evidence showing that you satisfied all the elements necessary to meet the applicable legal standard for justification. If you have done so, the burden shifts back to the prosecution to rebut your claim, and the less convincing you have been the easier it will be for the prosecution to do that. (And if you don't make your prima facie case of justification, the jury probably won't be instructed on self defense.)

From what I've heard, in the Mexican legal system you are guilty until proven innocent. In the United States legal system you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty but from what I've read in this post and some of the preceding posts, the difference between the two systems is that the Mexicans are more honest about how their system works.

Now, if you ever do defend yourself with a gun and end up shooting a perpetrator obviously in a case like that you did have a gun and you did shoot somebody, there's no denying that. While I think its a good idea usually not to say anything more than you have to I was told that you shouldn't lie about what happened either and I don't know who in their right mind would ever lie about not using a gun to shoot somebody even if it was in self defense. There would be too much evidence against you for you to admit otherwise. There would be the bullet wound, the slug if they're able to recover it, the gun itself, ect. There also would probably be witnesses who see you use the gun, hear you use the gun since guns are very loud as well as, depending on where you are, cameras that record you shooting somebody. So to deny the fact that you used a gun to shoot somebody would be practically impossible so if you did in fact use a gun to shoot a perpetrator in self defense I see it as being utterly foolish to deny otherwise.

Now, lets say I don't use a gun. Lets say Im an expert in the martial arts and I take down a perpetrator with my bare hands. Martial arts does not leave the kind of evidence that guns and bullets leave so for the prosecutor and the court to take into account my martial arts background, they would have to know about it first. The fact of the matter is, I did take somebody down although not with any weapons but what Im concerned about is how my martial arts background would come into play in court and how much of a difference it would make if I didn't have a martial arts background and still took somebody down with my bare hands. Again though, for them to take into account my martial arts background they would have to know about it in the first place.

BTW Frank Ettin, thank you for your post on post #2. Although you posted the same thing in the earlier thread that has been locked, its good to have it in this thread too as reference.

44 AMP

Staff
Arguments about the right of self defense not being in the Constitution are a red herring. The Constitution itself states that not everything is in the Constitution. Look down towards the bottom of the Bill of Rights, its in there...

K_Mac

Photon Guy if you, or I use force in what we believe to be self-defense, whether that involves the use of a weapon or our bare hands, we have to be able to make a reasonable case that our decision was justified. Do you honestly think that a background in martial arts is not going to be brought up if your "perpetrator" is seriously injured or killed because of your actions? What matters is, was the force used reasonable based on the situation. Deadly force has to be the last resort and the decision to use it should be examined carefully. What is the alternative?

Frank Ettin

Administrator
Photon Guy said:
From what I've heard, in the Mexican legal system you are guilty until proven innocent. In the United States legal system you are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty but from what I've read in this post and some of the preceding posts, the difference between the two systems is that the Mexicans are more honest about how their system works....
The you haven't really understood what's been said.

1. "Innocent until proven guilty" is a casual and imprecise way of describing the legal principle. The the principle is much better described by the phrase "the presumption of innocence."

2. The presumption of innocence is a principle developed under the Common Law system -- the legal system that evolved in England and became the foundation of the legal systems adopted in countries, like the United States and Canada, that were under English hegemony. Countries which were more directly subject to Latin or Roman influence, such as Italy, Spain, and, by extension, Latin American countries like Mexico operate under Civil or Roman law. The core principle of criminal procedure under the Civil Law system has historically been that the defendant was required to prove his innocence.

However, in modern times many Civil Law jurisdictions have adopted the presumption of innocence.

3. The presumption of innocence certainly applies in our courts. But the presumption is rebuttable. That means that although someone accused of a crime is presumed to be innocent, that presumption can be negated by evidence. That is how a prosecutor can prove that the accused, notwithstanding the presumption of innocence, is actually guilty.

But when the accused claims self defense to avoid criminal liability, he thus provides the evidence that rebuts the presumption of innocence. That evidence is his admission that he intentionally used violence against another human.

In one sense the accused claiming self defense is not innocent. He did, in fact, commit an act of violence against another person: and he admits it. But the accused is claiming that his act of violence is entitled to be excused or forgiven by society because it was justified.

Photon Guy said:
...I did take somebody down although not with any weapons but what Im concerned about is how my martial arts background would come into play in court and how much of a difference it would make if I didn't have a martial arts background and still took somebody down with my bare hands....
First, there is never a clear answer to this sort of question. Everything depends on exactly what happened and how it happened.

In one sense, it shouldn't matter. If the trier of fact would conclude that the level of force you used to defend yourself was appropriate, it shouldn't matter how that force was delivered. If a jury has concluded that lethal force in self defense was justified, whether the defender used a gun, a brick, a baseball bat, or his bare hands shouldn't make a difference.

But on the other hand, your training, whether in the martial arts or with weapons, just as your apparent attitude, demeanor, and candor will have an impression on a jury and affect jurors' evaluation of the evidence. It's impossible to completely avoid that, and, if you're on trial, you will need a skill lawyer who can anticipate those issues and be able to deal with them effectively.

Photon Guy said:
....for them to take into account my martial arts background they would have to know about it in the first place.
They will. You can't expect something like that to be, or stay, a secret.

rickyrick

What I suspect in cases that the self defense wasn't lethal or didn't cause any serious bodily injury, a good deal of them go unreported. Back in my younger years that was the case many times. Someone gets the better of the assailant and all parties go home. I'm sure many times a bad guy had a gun to his face and changed his mind and the victim didn't report it.

I know that instances where the assailants were shot and the case was presented to the DA for a decision to pursue or drop charges.

My grandpa went to trial for manslaughter in a self defense shooting but was eventually cleared.
The experts here are right, and I thank them for engaging in discussion with us laymen... It really is appreciated and I admire the efforts that they put in to inform us.

Now a Kung fu squirrel, that makes me shudder... I've really had a run in with a squirrel, they're not as cuddly as s young boy might think.... :)

Glenn E. Meyer

Martial Arts article:

Gonzaga Law Review
1995-96

*413 EMPTY HANDS, [FNa1]DEEP POCKETS: TORT LIABILITY AND POTENTIAL FOR
RECOVERY AGAINST INDIVIDUALS APPLYING MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING IN SELF-DEFENSE

31 GONZLR 413 Page
(Cite as: 31 Gonz. L. Rev. 413)

Interesting review of risks and liability

Status
Not open for further replies.