Self defense legal project...what do you think?

simonov jr

To put the anti's on the defensive, i'm thinking about putting together a list of the specific articles of the law for every state/jurisdiction in the us dealing with Justifiable Homicide. This could be posted and/or emailed to show that the anti's are denying the means to exercise a right recognized in every jurisdiction in the country. I bet I could find it all online. What do ya'll think?

Monkeyleg

Sounds like an ambitious project. I could get the laws for Wisconsin for you. Maybe others could get the laws for their states. But it would seem to me that you need some kind of "hook." Maybe a self-defense shooting story from each state to go with the laws? Don't know, just tossing out ideas.

Dick

David Scott

Here's a source for Florida stuff:
http://myweb.magicnet.net/~flynn/fla-gun.html

Boiled down, Florida law says you may use deadly force to defend yourself from imminent death or serious injury, to defend another person likewise (the "stand in his shoes" rule), or to stop a violent felony in progress. The threat has to be real and in the here and now -- someone saying "I'm gonna kill you" is not an imminent threat; if they follow up by showing a weapon and attacking you, thumb the safety off, center the front sight on their thoracic cavity and squeeze with the index finger. You're legal.

The caveat to all this is "duty to retreat" -- if you can disengage without using deadly force, and without risking death or injury, you must do so unless you are in your home or place of business (the "castle doctrine").

Florida is very strict on "brandishing". If you show a weapon, it had better be in response to that clear and present danger. If the circumstances don't justify its use, leave it in the holster and concealed. They'll take your CCW permit and fine you for unnecessary display.

Florida's official web site (reachable from the above link) actually has case law example explaining how the rules are interpreted.

RHC

The statutes, case law, and constitution of Oklahoma are all searchable at: www.oscn.net
which is maintained by the Oklahoma Supreme Court. Be aware that in Oklahoma we have a separate court which is the final court of appeal for criminal cases, called the Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals, so don't go looking in the OK Supreme Court for criminal cases.
Good luck!