Selection is Meager in the Local Shops: What To Do?

TriggerFingers

i went to 2 gun shops around town today.......

man.....they didnt have anything!!! and by that i mean i have seen some novice collections that are larger!!!

1st shop - practically nothing at all! about 4 used pistols total.....not much of a new selection either....they are the local Springfield dealer (was looking for a 1911) and he doesnt have a single one in stock......plus.....he was telling me a GI 1911 is going to cost me $600 bucks!!!

2nd shop - a few sales going on when i walked in.....a better used selection, but the only 1911's they had in stock were 2 Kimbers and a Colt (both out of my price range).....new selection was better but it seems like its smaller than when i visited last....

im in California......
what can i do? i want to get a few guns in the next few years (over under 12 Ga., 1911 style .45, small frame smith .357/.38)

i was looking into gunbroker......
but $50 to transfer from one FFL dealer is a bit high.......they are all pretty much that way from what ive seen on the website for my area......

what are my options for purchase? Gun shows?

what can a guy do out here?

gudel

go to turner's.

if you just going to browse around, then i guess you'd rather see the ones with more selection. turner's would be your best bet.

there are 3 shops here, two are stocked with hk, sigs, glocks, springfield etc., one is not. the one that is not, has better prices and when i come in, the owner always greet me with my name. so guess which one that got my business today! :D

Kayser

One surprising solution : K's Merchandise if you have them in your area. They're kind of like a cross between Sears and Amazon.com. While strolling in one a few months ago, I noticed that had a sporting goods section. Lo and behold, they had a HUGE selection of handguns and general firearms. They even had a S&W 500. It's the only store within 50 miles or so that I know which actually carries handguns.

railroader

Turner's is so cal so that isn't going to help you. As for used guns they have gotten pretty scarce at gun stores because of the handgun safety testing. There are tons of used guns that the dealers can't sell because they aren't on the "safe list". This has really hurt the dealers here in california. Mark