Seeking suggestions for a Beretta 950 Jetfire

Jetfire

I realize that there have been a few posts concerning the Jetfire in the past. I'll be taking delivery of an Inox model this week, and am seeking some suggestions from current/previous owners on:
1) a good pocket holster - I'm assuming something lightweight is in order since it's a pretty light gun to begin with. Perhaps an Uncle Mike's or something (versus leather)? I want something that will work in front pants pocket (versus rear).
2) cleaning - Anything particular I should keep in mind? I don't yet have a gun in such a small caliber.
3) ammo - seems like the general concensus from previous threads have been FMJ and pre-fragmented stuff for both target-shooting and defense.

From what I have heard, one shouldn't dry-fire this pistol at all. Do you guys concur?

I'm pretty new to guns in general. I know that many consider the .25 ACP an anemic round--but I'm primarily buying this gun to fill a certain role. Meaning, I'm trying to buy examples of different types of guns (so far I have a full-size Kimber, a J-frame, and a Marlin lever-action). I actually won't even be carrying the Jetfire since CCW is not allowed where I live.

Thanks in advance! No need to suggest a larger caliber or the P32, etc. All in due time. :D

In my experience, (have owned one and seen a lot of warranty work returns at the gun shop) they don't hold up well. Better to get the .32...it's just fine. Better stopper too.

Kentucky Rifle

When you recommended the .32, did you mean the "Tomcat". I've read a lot more bad press regarding the Tomcat than I have the Jetfire. I own an INOX Jetfire and it's been fine from the start, except for last night. I was changing ammunition and, for some reason that I haven't figured out yet, one round kind of nosed down and stuck in the mag. It was difficult to get out without bending the mag lips too. I think I'll go buy another magazine today.

Tamara: If you read this, do you have any thoughts as to why this happened? (I know you're a Jetfire fan.)

KR

Kermit

I have a inox version as well. Carried in a Desantis pocket leather holster, hammer at half cock point, safety on. Current ammo is Hornady 35 grn JHP.
Hope that helps :)

I meant the 'Tomcat'...have two friends that swear by them. I've got the Kel-Tec P-32 and swear by it. Good luck on your choice, whichever it is.
Tom

Kentucky Rifle

The "Tomcat" is...

..one of the only pocket pistols I don't own. The post I read regarding the guy who's Tomcat went back to the factory SO MANY times, he got REAL disgusted and cut the thing in half with his band-saw then pounded the pieces flat on an anvil, then sent THAT to Beretta was a little too graphic for me. I thought I was going to buy one of the new titanium models, until I found out they weigh more than the STEEL models. As Algore would say in his Baptist preacher voice..."Sumpin' wrong here"!:p

KR

glockorama

My jetfire .25 was very accurate and 100% reliable. I carried glaser safety slugs and fmj's staggered every other round. With the intro of the Kel-tec P-32, the jetfire is pretty much obsolete, IMHO.

22lovr

Holster suggestion..............

I carry my P32 in an Uncle Mike's size 1 soft flexible fabric-type holster. All I did was remove a few threads to make the gun fit down to the bottom of the holster. Why do I like it? It is inexpensive, (about $12) very flat and very light. When it wears out, I just buy another one. I've bought a couple of holsters from Michael's of Oregon website and have been, thus far, very pleased.

PS- I've also owned a Beretta Model 21 Bobcat in .22 LR. Great plinking and fun-shooting gun, similar to the Jetfire.

billkrom

Jetfire 25

Bought one for my wife last year and carry it myself sometimes. After firing make sure that you clean it real good, including cleaning and oiling the mag. Had some feed problems originally during the 1st 500 rounds, but disassembly and cleaning of the mag corrected that. DO NOT use gun scrubber without taking off the original plastic grips or replacing them as it will soften them up. I got some rosewood grips at a gun show for 20.00. Get a spare clip mfg by Beretta as the aftermarket ones are kind of flakey. Other than that the next 1K rounds have been fired without a failure of any kind, including rapid firing 3 mags in a row. It's a great little pocket gun if your a decent shot. I know an X-CIA man that carries a 22 pocket pistol and says it's all you need. If you ever use it, fire until the mag is empty, trying for head shots. We bought a Soft Armour holster by Mil.Tech USA at a gun shop for 20.00. My personal choice though is a Glock 30 with 11 rounds of Black Talon!

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Kentucky Rifle,

I thought I was going to buy one of the new titanium models, until I found out they weigh more than the STEEL models. As Algore would say in his Baptist preacher voice..."Sumpin' wrong here"!

That's because the "steel" Tomcat has a steel slide and aluminum frame, while the titanium one has a steel slide and titanium frame. Titanium is heavier (slightly) than aluminum, but much stronger, and should have a much longer lifespan in a tiny blowback .32 than aluminum. (My Tomcat has ~1200-1500 rounds through it and is still going okay, but if it lives past 3k, I'll be surprised)

As far as the mag thing goes, sometimes semi-rimmed rounds do weird things in mags if not loaded exactly how they want to be. Good call on replacing the mag.

glockorama,

Why do I carry a Jetfire instead of a P-32? Jetfires have a much longer lifespan, firing the less snappy .25 cartridge, than either Tomcats or P-32's, in my experience. They are also (again in my experience) much easier to fire with the accuracy and precision needed by thes tiny cartridges than a P-32. Lastly, while they're slightly thicker than a P-32, they're shorter in height and length. Plus, I just don't like P-32's from an ergonomic standpoint; the grips are too thin and short for me to get a good firing grip on. To each their own, though; what's uncomfortable in my hand may be the bee's knees in yours, and what fits in my pockets might be annoying in someone else's. That's why they make all different kinds of guns. :)

Jetfire

Update

My decisions:

1) Uncle Mike's pocket holster (size 1) - maybe it's my build, or maybe my pants aren't baggy enough, but my combo still prints a little. It doesn't scream gun, but I think that those that know what a little semi-auto in a pocket holster looks like will know. Maybe I'll have to go to cargo shorts for the summer? I tried some basic pleated shorts today at the store and it still printed a little too much for my tastes.

2) The jag I bought for .25 wouldn't go through the bore when I used patches designed for .25. Decided to use the standard "eye"-type attachment instead. Even the bronze brush I bought wouldn't go through happily without much effort. I may just not use the brush at all. The small barrel seems to be okay without it--I'd hate to damage it for no reason. Skipped the muzzle guide since the barrel is so short--I figure I'll just be more careful about the crown.

3) Bought a couple boxes of Federal Classic FMJs. Only shot 33 rounds so far, but no failures as of yet. Will eventually check out the pre-fragmented stuff, after the initial reliability/break-in period.

4) Decided to carry it hammer down on a loaded chamber with the safety off.

Please feel free to let me know if anything above seems wrong/bad. Like I said, I'm pretty new to guns.

Also, the POI seems to be a bit left of POA. Is this normal? Or do I just need to get used to such a small/light gun? Otherwise, the groups were pretty tight.

Thanks!