Seeking some scope insights...

Yoosta B. Blue

I have a friend who has a 6" Smith & Wesson 686 Plus revolver. (You may already know that this is the stainless, seven-shot .357 Magnum model.) He loves it, and has expressed an interest in putting a pistol scope on it to be able to do some hunting. I thought I would see what I can find out to be able to help him...

Any thoughts you'd care to share regarding what scope you might suggest, along with any mounting guidelines, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Yoosta B. Blue

Last edited:

Pahoo

Lots of choices.

Personally I'd go with one of the newer Burris pistol scopes as the quality is good and price is reasonable. I'd stay low on the power, Like a 4 and a variable would be good. I have a 2-7 but not mounted on a .357. There are just so many choices depending on what you can afford. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

black mamba

A 1-4x variable is the most useful variant. Don't buy something cheap, they're a waste of money. Go with Leupold, Burris, or Bushnell.

OkieCruffler

For pistol cartridge scopes I almost always use Bushnell Trophy 2-6X scopes. Used to run right around $125 new, I think they've gone up a bit. I've owned 8 IIRC and never had a problem. I have 2 right now, one on a 357max and one in a drawer without a current home. You can keep them down at 2X but sometimes that 6X is handy.

Cary

I also have the same scope on my 6" GP100 as OkieCruffler above and it has served me well for several years now.

Cary

madcratebuilder

Unless you are shooting from a rest anything over 2X is difficult to hold a steady sight picture. I've had years of great service from Leupold and Burris 2X pistol scopes.

rodfac

Get a low power handgun scope from one of the major companies...and the best mounts you can buy...recoil is a significant factor in keeping a good consistent zero with full house .357 Magnum loads. Rod

Yoosta B Blue:

Purchase a quallity scope there are several major brands out there. Stick with the varibles. A 2X7 is an axcellent choice. You most likely will use the lower powers most of the time. With my T/C set on seven I have a hard time finding soda cans at 100 yards. However, once i aquire the target I can pin point my shot.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

OkieCruffler

Another thing to consider is the weight of the scope and how it effects balance. I just took the 2X30 off of my 22 Contender. Off the bench I love it, huge FOV, but it also adds a huge amount of weight and throws the balance off. Since it's my #1 squirrel gun and the leaves are falling the 2X20 has to go on it for field work.