Seeking some .357 advice...

Which would you rather have if given to you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yoosta B. Blue

I'm looking ahead to a gift that I plan to give to a special someone. I've not yet decided which to buy -- a Ruger GP-100 in .357 or a Taurus 627 in that caliber. (I have a Taurus 608, and absolutely love it!)

Thanks for your help in the matter!

Yoosta

Jon-m

You can never go wrong with a nice Ruger.
I absolutely love shooting gp-100's. Easy to shoot, very accurate, and the look pretty darn good as well.

madmag

I voted GP100...because I own one. I guess most has already been said about the GP100. It is not exactly the most sleek refined pistol out there, but it is built like a tank. If you buy the GP100 you will probably never (ever) hear feedback that it didn't work.

vytoland

a gift that I plan to give to a special someone

if the person is special , then also look at the S&W model 686. that special someone will love it and you forever.

publius

GP100, it's a Ruger, it looks better, less likely to have problems and if you do you'll have better factory support.

Majic

I know some people like to give surprise gifts, but for a firearm it's best to get input from the one receiving the gift.

Yoosta B. Blue

I really appreciate these responses. At the present time in the poll I've tossed out to you, Team Ruger is kicking Team Taurus' butt by a score of 24 to nothing. :p

I mentioned that I have the Taurus 608, an 8-shot 357 Mag wheel gun. I got it last March and have enjoyed keeping up with my fired-round count, which stands at 1,750 right now. I've had absolutely no problems with this bad boy, and my wife and I are both really enjoying it at the range.

Before I bought it, I looked long and hard at the GP-100. The thing that won me over to the 608 was the porting on the Taurus. It really helps to soften the wallop when shooting those full house loads, and that's a feature that I really enjoy. In fact, porting is the prime reason that I'm considering the purchase of a 627 for that special someone...

I see that I've got to ponder on this one for a while... ;) Thanks again for your commentary and insights. Majic, while I can see some merit in doing this in a manner different than what I've chosen, I want it to be a total surprise. (I have no doubt that the recipient will be thrilled with either of them. He has "oohed and awed" over my 608, though he has not yet had an opportunity to shoot it...) :D

YBB

irocknrol2

I have both a taurus and a ruger. Both perform great, no problems. You really can not compare the two, Ruger is just a better made weapon. As already said, what does this man like? If he doesn't own any right now he would probably be happy with either. Ruger gets my vote.

dieselmech

43 - 0

43-0 is the current count.

I found the paper work from mine about a week ago. I got it new when I was 17 ( I have a cool dad ) that was about 20 years ago and back then NIB was $289. round count is 8k-10k woth of just mag loads. I always loved to find stuff loaded for the D.E automag for it.
As far as porting on the ruger its not really needed to make it handle any better with that length barrel as it is not a light weight.

robhof

robhof

Another vote for the Ruger. You got a good Taurus and when they're good they're very good, however many people have gotten less than good and Taurus warranty service has had many horror stories written about it. I've shot and handled a few Tauruses and found the Raging Bulls to be strong and accurate, but when you have a problem; it's hard to beat Ruger or Smith & Wesson for customer service.

usaz

I'm 100% for the Ruger. Though I just now did vote for the Taurus. (My sympathy swelled up and I felt bad for it)

Nanuk

Look for a used S&W k-frame like a model 13 or 65 with a 3" bbl. Great balance and you get get the action slicked up like glass. In reality the GP's are not anymore durable than the Smiths. The Border Patrol had lots of GP's and 686's. The Gp's shot loose and out of time way sooner than the 686's and we shoot 1200 rounds of duty ammo each year at a minimum. Those of us that compete shoot 2-3 times that.

publius

If you like the porting that would be a good reason to get the Taurus, That is it's biggest neg for me though. no one should have a problem w/a full size 357 with enough practice firing .38's first. Full house .357's have a lot of muzzle flash and are pretty loud which translates into the false mental image of stiff recoil. Ruger

Sgt.Fathead

I've got three GPs, two 4" SS and the 6" in stainless, too. I've owned Tauri in the past and feel that there's light years difference between the two; the fit and finish is superior on a Ruger and you can't beat their customer service, either. Go with the GP and give a bank vault with a barrel!