Seeking pearls of caliber wisdom

BCannell

I'm writing a little piece to post on the door of my dorm, advising my neighbors on the choice of a caliber for a defensive handgun. The idea isn't to give them a definitive answer (which I don't believe is possible), but rather to let them know what they need to consider. So far I've come up with two main points:

1) All handguns are underpowered. Therefore, anyone who tells you that his favorite cartridge/bullet/load will kill a man with one shot, guaranteed, should be treated with extreme skepticism.

2) In general, larger-caliber cartridges seem to kill people better (or such is the body of opinion on various websites such as this). However, given that the handgun is a weapon of compromise, there are tradeoffs in capacity and recoil. Cost of practice should also be considered. Thus, a larger-caliber weapon is not necessarily a better choice.

But a mere two lessons isn't aesthetically pleasing. Consequently, I'm submitting a request for more ideas from the knowledgable patrons of this message board.

Leif

Umm, in what sort of dorm are you living? :confused:

However, I agree with both of your points so far.

azredhawk44

Hollowpoint bullets expand to create more tissue trauma than jacketed bullets, but do so at the expense of speed and penetration. "Lighter" calibers such as .380 and below may suffer in stopping power when hollowpoints are employed.

While any cartridge can overpenetrate, magnum revolver rounds (.357, .44, and large hunting rounds such as .454) are more likely to do so. Caution should be used in ammunition selection to avoid cartridges designed for hunting, and specific urban self-defense ammunition should be selected for these larger weapons.

SGHOTH

The best gun to get is the largest one you will keep with you. For some people thats a desert eagle in .50 ae. :eek: For others its a .25 ACP. Find out what you can lug around all the time and be comfortable.

For me currently it is currently a P-32 or a Colt pocket 9. In the past it has been other things. All handgun choices are a give and take formula. There is no one size fits all answer.

cje1980

It is more important to use a weapon platform that you are familiar with and can get solid hits ASAP with. Getting a lot of solid hits can be more effective than getting less hits with a larger caliber. Essentially, use the weapon you are comfortable with and get very familiar with that weapon.

Very good points so far. There is no such thing as a one-shot stop. Period. It boils down to the shooter, and how she/he handles their firearm, how many quick shots they can get off in a short amount of time, etc.

As far as posting on your dorm door (on the public hallway side I'm assuming), I'd be careful. It's school property, and I don't know of any schools that would want any info on firearms/ammo/etc on their doors. Unless it's a police academy dorm or something like that. You'd be surprised at what will set off the dorm police w/ their policies and rules. Just be careful you don't get in trouble.

ozzy1038

I guarantee I could kill a person with one shot from a handgun. Of course they would have to be static and my gun would have to be to their head.
With a .44 mag guaranteed!:p :D Sorry I couldnt pass up the opportunity to throw that in. LOL If it were only that easy.;)

Pointer

If you feel the need to PULL the gun... shoot the gun!

Don't talk about it... "If you come any closer I'll..." :p

Don't think twice... shoot him thrice!

Jody Hudson

The MOST important thing is that you explain to us about this Dorm. Otherwise you are potentially putting firearms ownership, gun owners, and yourself in a very bad PR situation and this IS a PR WORLD...

Please be responsible in your communications and a sign on a door is a public communication. Responsibility in communication is a very large part of being a responsible gun owner.

Moloch

I could kill everything with one 9mm HP shot. I would put the niner into the larynx of the object, it would bleed out in 5 or 6 seconds. If I miss the carotids the object would suffocate because the bullet would crash the throat. One shot stops is more than possible with any caliber.

This works also with bears and boars and other very big stuff.

shooter1

BCannell,
I believe you pretty much have a handle on defensive handgun calibers. I propose that you should employ the largest, most powerful handgun that you can handle. As you pointed out, they are all marginally adequate for the job. The answer is: there is no one correct answer!
str1

mfree

Moloch,

Speak of what you know, not what you've seen in movies or fantasized standing over a Glock 17.

Moloch

Moloch,

Speak of what you know, not what you've seen in movies or fantasized standing over a Glock 17.

I didnt say anything about the Glock 17, the 9mm was just an example.:confused:

Of course other calibers would work on throatshots too.
But its fact that 20% of human/animal blood goes to the brain through the throat veines and its the unprotectest place of the body. (unprotectet=no bones)
So a throat-veines shot would be VERY effective on humans/animals and such wounds would kill anything/stop in less than 6 seconds.

In a life-or-death situation I would aim for the throath of the attacker.

mfree

"In a life-or-death situation I would aim for the throath of the attacker."

Let us know how that works for you.

springmom

I'm thinking this doesn't belong on a dorm door...

...Of course it's your dorm door, so do what you wish, but why, exactly, are you doing this?

If I was the mom of the kid across the hall, seeing that on your door would worry me. A lot. Might want to give this a second and even a third thought.

Springmom, being a mom again :D