seecamp .380 vs .32

porkskin

I am really close to getting either the seecamp .32 or .380. My question is there is about a $400 price difference between the two calibers and I wondered if the .380 version will retain that money or eventually both calibers would be worth the same? Anyone here feel the .380 version is worth double the clams?

Playboypenguin, where are you?
I was asleep. I am on the west coast and didn't get to bed until 3am last night. :)
Anyone here feel the .380 version is worth double the clams?
The .380 will always be worth more.

Are you just concerned about the value or are you concerned with the difference in performance also?

Performance wise it all comes down to your way of thinking. The .32 and the .380 have almost identical penetration with FMJ ammo. They both rated at about 12-15" of penetration with the .380 having a slight advantage.

With JHP is when the difference is more evident. They both had about 12" of penetration but the .32 did not tend to expand very much... if they expanded at all. The .380 usually did not expand fully but did a better job than the .32 in most tests.

So I would say the edge goes only slightly to the .380 if using FMJ and a little more if using JHP but not enough so to make it worth carrying a much larger gun. Luckily when it comes to Seecamp firearms the .380 is no larger. Therefore you can have the slightly better round in the same easy to carry package. However, if the .32 is all you can find you can feel pretty confident that you are not really giving up much performance.

Some people would even prefer the .32 since it is less abusive to shoot and follow up hits are easier to acheive and come more quickly.

PSP

I'm happy with my .32. If the .380 were more available and closer in price, I'd certainly like to own one. The .32 is easy to shoot and accurate enough, while the .380 is a bit of a handful they say. I have a hard time justifying the increase in price in my mind. But that's just me.

Laserlips

JMOFO:

I just ordered a Seecamp LWS32 last week.

I already have a KelTec P32 & NAA 32cal. Guardian and for my needs I think I am better served with a 32cal pistol than a 380. I'm an old fart, and from folks I've talked to about the different calibers most seem to agree that the 32cal "anything" will be easier on my old hands, less recoil, and therefore probably more potential for accuracy.

Lots of folks don't give much credit to the 32cal round as a "man-stopper", or "man slower-downer" or whatever, but only in America are we so enamoured with the "bigger is better" syndrome in everything from Trucks to the size of our steaks. The 32cal. round has been around a long time, and particularly in Europe over the decades it has been found sufficient. In fact many Europeon Police Organizations once used the 32cal. as the approved police carry weapon.

It is my opinion that if I ever have a face to face confrontation requiring the use of potentially lethal force I will be as well served with the 32 as the 380. I have no issue with those who diagree with me, but each of us have to decide what is acceptable, and for me, for deep concealment, a quality 32cal. pistol that has been found reliable suffices....

Would I prefer having my Walther P99c/AS with 10+1 rounds of 9mm Cor-Bon with me than a Seecamp, NAA, or Keltec? Certainly. But there are times and places where you simply cannot cc a larger firearm.

For those times I think the best option for my needs, and abilities, would be a 32cal.

FWIW, I've had excellent service out of my NAA Guardian and KelTec P32. I don't intend to part with either of those, but I've always lusted after the highly regarded Seecamp, so hopefully shortly I'll have one. Some may disagree, but I think common perception is that the fine little Seecamp pistol is the creme of the crop in mouseguns, and having the best of anything is a good thing, and will generally bring a smile to your face..

100_6392_01.jpg

As you can see I'm not particularly undergunned... :D

I prefer the Seecamp in 32cal... You buy what you think suits your needs and interest best.. Either way you wind up with a Seecamp..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

michael t

I would go with the 32 Recoil for one reason 380 bound to be snappy because of blowback design. In short barrel 380 doesn't have that great of edge. Bet BG can't tell difference.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
The LWS .380 will continue to command these prices for the time being; but
as soon as production catches up to demand, look for those prices to fall to
'bout the $460 price range; or 'bout the same as the LWS-32. I own a LWS-
32, and I'm very happy with it; so there is NO NEED to upgrading to a LWS-
.380~! ;) :D

link523

I just got a 32 and in the owners papers it state the 380 needs recoil springs need replacing ever 300 round at $900-$1000 it think that is excessive

Doublestack

Hi All,
I,ve had a Seecamp .32 for 9 or 10 years. I will have to go back and check the manual on that "change the spring every 300 rds." thing. I don't remember ever seeing that. Did I read correctly that replacement springs are a bazillion dollars? That just cannot be.
On another note, since the manual does say the ammo must be Win. Silvertips only, I don't see 300 rds. happening any time soon. I shoot a box a year to be sure everything is functioning properly, and to use up old ammo to replace with new.
The .32 comes in handy for dropping into your pocket for those late night trips to the local "stop & rob" stores when ya need some milk. For regular carry, I choose something of larger caliber that has sights on it.
I love my Seecamp, but it has it's purpose. If it is all that you find that you will carry comfortably, as has been said many times, a .32 in your pocket better serves you than the .45 that is in your safe.

Given the choice, I would have opted for the .380 over the .32. It wasn't available at the time I got the .32.

DS

austinguy23

It isn't the cost of the spring that I would find annoying; it's the fact that I would have to wonder how many rounds I had put through it to determine whether it's still reliable enough for defensive carry.

For a gun that costs that much, I would expect it to be more robust than that. No offense to those who own it...

alamo

For a gun that costs that much, I would expect it to be more robust than that. No offense to those who own it...

It's really not a matter of the pistol or parts not being "robust". It's the nature of a very small pistol firing a relatively powerful round for the size of the pistol. The Rohrbaugh 9MM pistol is similar - small, lightweight, relatively powerful round for the platform. They recommend changing the recoil springs every one hundred rounds. A recoil spring stout enough to last longer would cause the pistol to malfunction.

There are trade-offs that generally can't be avoided to produce such a small pistol, changing recoil springs frequently is one of them.

JB in SC

Two extra recoil springs are included with every LWS380.

I like the .32 pretty well and have carried one since 1991, but have ordered a .380 (about a year out). The .380 is a handful, but not in the league of the .357 Sc S&W's. Like Elmer said, better to have a sore hand than be dead.

The Seecamps are very nice pistols, and much smaller than most imagine.

RsqVet

If I owned a a 380 seecamp (I have a 32) I would not stay up nights worrying about spring reliability.

There is redundnacy built into the gun and if you go to the Seecamp forum Larry will tell you that he testfires the 380's with ratty old springs that are way more worn than anythings you will likley ever get to unless you have an iron wrist, free ammo and jsut love shooting a tiny gun.