Security Six Question

Wishoot

Hi All;

I'll be picking up a Ruger Security Six .357 within the next several days and I was wondering if there are any modern day .357 or .38 spl loads I should not be shooting out of this beast.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Mike-

Webleymkv

The Security Six is a very strong revolver and was discontinued due to high production costs rather than any lack of strength. I very seriously doubt that any .357 Magnum or .38 Special ammo from a reputable maker would damage a Security Six.

Terry A

I concur and agree with what Webleymkv stated. You're getting a seriously good gun. I've been in the market for one for a while now, but around where I live, none of the gunshops have any for sale. I'm betting you'll be very happy with your choice.

As to the strength of the Security Six, it may not be as thick and tough as the GP-100 (what is???) but you still have a tank of a .357. I've shot my cousin-in-laws many times and it's a handgun you'll love for sure.

wjkuleck

My goodness, here's WebleyMkV again!

The Security-Six will handle any factory load. Unlike the S&W Model 19, for example, extensive shooting won't loosen it up, either.

Regards,

Walt
Ruger Collectors' Association No. 97

WOODCHUCK 44

Security Six 200th Year

Gunshop near me has one marked "Made In The 200th Year Of American Freedom". Can get their info if you want.

Wishoot

Thanks guys. This thing would appear to be built by the same engineers that designed the M1A1 tank.

I can't wait to take ownership of it and give it a spin.

SIGSHR

Only loads I wouldn't fire are reloads assembled by someone with no idea what he's doing-say 10 grains of Bullseye. I have had my Security Six since 1976, changed the factory mainspring to a lighter (but still reliable) aftermarket one. I think they are a terrific value.

Zilmo

Great gun, love mine. I have a six inch stainless Security Six, a GP 100 six inch stainless, and a Redhawk .357 stainless. All three will eat whatever I throw at them. Ruger makes some stout stuff.

Wishoot

I also have my eye on a GP-100 4" that's in pristine condition.

Good gravy this is an expensive, addictive hobby...

earlthegoat2

I like the 2 3/4" version with fixed sights. Here it is nestled between two other nice Rugers.

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 56