Security Six for carry...

omegapd

Hey All,

I'm sure this has been discussed here a million times before, but I can't get the search function to work. Must be my computer...

Recently picked up a 4 inch Security Six for carry. I've had a 6 inch one in the past for deer hunting and liked it well enough. I'm curious, though, if there were any problems with the Security Six that led to it's demise or if there is anything I should watch out for?

Anyway, here's the obligatory pic if I can figure out how to post it. :cool:

GUN047.jpg

The grips have been modified and are very comfortable. Pretty good shooter and a good price (less than 200).

Thanks for any replies,

EW

JR47

The Security-Six was replaced by a weapon that used more of the Super Redhawks design. The GP100 is built to handle a steady diet of heavy loads of .357 Magnum.

The Security-Six, of which we own two, is a sturdy revolver. It had no pronounced weaknesses, and is an excellent CCW choice. I like the Millet white outline rear and red stripe front sight package on mine. Mine is at least 30+ years old, and my wife's is at least 22 years old. Majority diet of .357 Mags over the years. :)

smooks75

Nuff Said.........

Great piece. Great shooter, carry it with confidence. I have had Ruger products for many years now and all are strong and will out last me. :)

hpg

The Security Six and Speed Six(fixed sight version) are like the K-frame S&W's, excellant handguns. hpg

blume357

Kind of like an old Chevy

they don't have the 'newness' to them but they are good and easy to work with. Trigger pull is not nearly as good as a K frame Smith but then not bad. I've also got a 6" and 4" model...am looking for a 2.75" to complete my 'collection'.

JR47

Actually, the trigger on both of our Security-Sixes has, with time, smoothed out to be better than current S&W revolvers. More like the old pre-war long action triggers.:)

raveneap

During my LEO days (30 years) I carried a 2.75" Secutiry Six for several years. Typical Ruger; dependable, accurate (as much as u can expect of a 2.75") and didn't require any special care. A little heavy by today's standards but a good all around weapon. I picked up a used Speed Six (same gun but fixed sights) a few months ago. It was built in 1983 and still tight as a clam; shoots great. Ruger builds tough guns.

trailgator

Actually, the Service Six is the same as the Security Six, except for having fixed sights. The Speed Six is a smaller gripped version. I have the Service Six 4" stainless model. It's as solid and dependable as the day is long. :D

Charles S

Great gun.

I think you will enjoy it. I love the older Rugers.

I doubt you will have any problems unless someone has monkeyed with the action.

The older Rugers are great guns. I have put thousands of full power 357 rounds through mine with no problems.

Charles

essexcounty

I was suprised when the GP 100 was introduced. It seemed to me that the GP100 offered no great advantage (except for styling) over what they already had in the marketplace..........Essex

Webleymkv

The Security Six was discontinued in favor of the GP100 because it required more hand fitting and was therefore more expensive to produce. Ruger says that the GP100 is much stronger than the Security Six and I'm sure it is, but the Security Six wasn't weak to begin with. In my mind, Ruger kind of fixed something that wasn't broken.

Charles S

The Security Six was discontinued in favor of the GP100 because it required more hand fitting and was therefore more expensive to produce.

That makes perfect sense. I never could believe strength was really an issue with the Security Six.

Charles

Deaf Smith

Speed Six is my favorite. While I'm a K frame lover, for carry I've always felt the Speed Six was the way to go if you really did use .357 Magnums and not .38s. More controlable, sturdier, and the fixed sights are a real asset. Of couse I've got one!