Security-Six "CHP" 6" commemorative pics'

boa2

I got this CHP Security-Six commemorative(Model GA-86T) awhile back from a retired CHP motorcycle patrolman-but, I was ill for a time and had tucked it away in my safe but, never got around to posting pictures of it. These revolvers were chambered in .38 Special. This gun has the "CHP" stamped on the frame-so it was not over stamped. I just took the following pictures this morning-but, they did not turn out as good as they would have in better lighting-as today was very dark and cloudy:
P1010208.jpg

P1010206.jpg

P1010211.jpg

P1010212.jpg

P1010213.jpg

P1010209.jpg

boa2

Thanks, Skidder!:) The only other police marked Security-Sixes that I have in my collection, except for this CHP commemorative is a stainless 6" Sacramento County Sheriffs' Dept. and a 4" blue South Dakota Sheriffs' Dept.:)

skidder

I would not be surprised if that was a 357 mag wrapped in 38 spl clothing.

In other words.... it's a 357 bored to 38 depth. This is the cheapest way to make a 38 from a 357. This was done by Ruger on several occasions in order to fulfill private contracts where a 38 was mandatory.

Last edited:

skidder

So 38-44 data would be acceptable for this gun ?
I'm not familiar with 38-44 data, but I am with 38 +P+ :D. I have a Service Six chambered in 38 special and can tell you it is the same gun minus the chamber depth. I can swap cylinders with its 357 counter part and vice-verse.

I've been reloading for 20 years so I would recommend most to follow the instruction manual.