Secured from Kids

scorpion_tyr

How do you guys and gals with children secure your guns in the house? I have a small collection the only ones that remain loaded are the 12g, and a couple of pistols for home defense.

CortJestir

I have no long guns (yet) but I secure my bump in the night gun in a quick-access pistol safe bolted to my nightstand in the master bedroom, my daily CCW piece du jour in another quick access safe and the rest of my gun collection in a larger safe that is, in turn, stored in a locked walk-in closet reserved exclusively for firearms, ammo, and other shooting related items. Overkill, maybe. But as long as I have quick access to one firearm on every level of my house, I'm OK with it. Plus I have a lot of friends and family with kids that do come over quite frequently so out-of-sight, out-of-mind is a must in my household.

ZEBRARANGER

I dont have kids in my house anymore, they've all grown up. But I keep all my guns locked in a safe. Every night when I go to bed I take one out and it goes on my night stand. When I get up in the morning, it goes back in the safe. Just a daily routine I do. My Son in law has a small 4 or 5 digit safe mounted in the bottom of his night stand and keeps his only handgun in there. He says he has pretty fast access to it and can open it in the dark with no problems. They have a 3 year old in the home.

Last edited:

vanguard_anon

My pistol is in a small electronic safe in the master bedroom closet. My rifle is unloaded and sitting on a shelf. Normally, I don't keep bullets for the rifle in the house. Right now, I have a few left over that I keep locked in the pistol's safe.

itman

Well I never leave a gun loaded (and the ammo is out or reach). I don't feel like I need one. But hey your mileage may very. I also have a rule with my 7 year old. Any time he wants we will take them out and shoot them and take them apart and clean them or just look at them... But I have to be with him.

Every little boy is curiosity about his dad’s guns. But he just has to fill that curiosity with Dad. And every little boy plays war or cowboys and Indians. But after shooting mine he know there’s a VERY BIG different.

The only problem is he never wants to go shooting.

JWT

No kids at home but the grandkids visit frequently so I keep my long guns and some of my hand guns in a safe in one bedroom closet and the rest of my handguns in another smaller safe in the master bedroom.

Kids are naturally curious and I've showed them some of my guns and explained that they're never to touch them (unless I specifically show them to 'em). The only responsible thing to do if you have kids around at any time is keep the firearms locked up.

ddhartzell

walk in closet

I change out the door knob on one of our walk in closets and put a keyed lock. It has worked until now but I am in the market for a safe right now just because my daughter is getting old enough to start checking everything out. I have until now kept all hunting gear in that one closet (knifes, archery, guns) and they have kept them from prying fingers

ISC

The single best thing you can do is make guns such a normal part of your kids lives that they aren't curious about them. Pound it in their head that there is a way to treat guns and allow them to look at and handle them (under supervision) anytime they ask. Make them clean your guns as a chore to earn range time and demand that they never touch a gun without permission from an early age (diapers).

This approach makes it so that they are safe around not just your gunbs, but at anyone else's home who isn't as concientious.

I keep my carry guns with me or out of reach in my bedroom when I'm home. ometimes they're locked in my glovebox. I never carry or store a gun with a round in the chamber. I think that doing so is stupid and asking for trouble. If I ever feel that the risk has gone up for any reason, I'll chamber a round on my carry gun.

I leave my 12 gage in a closet with a lock that is usually, but not always, locked. It is always unloaded with a bandolier with a variety of shells ranging from #7 to slugs available for rapid loading. I don't keep my knives locked up or the keys to my vehicles either. My alcohol isn't locked up either. If you can't trust your kids than you need to train them better. If your worried about other people coming over you need to restrict access.

If I am going to leave the house when I have guests over I do lock my bedroom door so that the gun/ammo closet is less accessible.

CortJestir

DDhartzell, check out the Stack-On lockable gun cabinets. They are very affordable and you don't need a crane to lift them into place. I think they work well in a locked closet or locked room. I wouldn't use them unless they were behind a locked door. Be sure to bolt them into the wall or floor.

ddhartzell

Stack on Safes

CortJestir,

I have looked at the stack-on safes but am gonna go with a larger, fire safe. I am going bolt it to my garage floor and figure I should have a fire safe if I am getting one (need to keep kids stuff, papers, and other junk I have accumulated over time that needs to be kept safe)

thanks thought