Secondary Carry

RobertRogers

I am looking for a backup handgun that will also double for carry while backpacking in very rough terrain. It has to be relatively small, lightweight, but still effective for self defense. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, but what might you guys recommend?

snail

S&W airweight snubbie would be an excellant choice, and so is the new Ruger LCR for that matter.

Crankylove

from two legged or four legged critters?

When I am out hiking around, my main concern is the two legged varmits.....
Although it isn't super light weight, or small in size, my hiking sidearm is a 4" Ruger GP100, most of the time loaded with 125 gr. JHP.

rodwhaincamo

I chose a Taurus 44 Tracker. At 34 oz it's more a mid-weight, but for both 2-legged and 4-legged with tusks, it was, to me, the best choice for the price. And with a 4" barrel I guess it's also a mid-size. Ruger makes the Alaskan, which might be more what you'd be looking for. Depends on what 4-legged critters you are concerned with, but I'd prefer to have a bit more gun than not quite enough. And a 44 R Mag ought to be enough for anything in this hemisphere, though there are more powerful cartridges out there, but not with the same cost or availability. Just my opinion.

howwie

glock 19 is my fav carry weapon overall. But a slightly smaller and good shooting cheap gun is the bersa thunder .380 but you may want more punch than a .380

oneounceload

a 9, 38 or 357 will work just fine against 2-legged critters. A 357, 41, 44, and bigger will do just fine against most large 4-legged ones. Evaluate what your need is and go from there

azredhawk44

Robert: Depending on your part of the country, .40 and .45 autoloaders are perfectly suitable for protection from 4-legged critters.

Good, lightweight candidates would be a Kahr, Glock or XD compact.

A lighter .357 would also be a good choice. Ruger's SP-101 comes to mind.

Given your desire for it to also act as a backup gun to your primary CCW, I'd suggest the Kahr or SP-101.

dairycreek

I am looking for a backup handgun that will also double for carry while backpacking in very rough terrain. It has to be relatively small, lightweight, but still effective for self defense. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, but what might you guys recommend?

I used to be a serious backpacker and, for me, weight was the big issue. Even trimmed my toothbrush to save every bit of weight. The OP mentions backpacking in rough terrain which leads me to believe that weight might also be an issue of concern. If weight is a BIG issue then I would recommend the lightest 38/357 and know that shooting full bore 357 stuff won't be any fun at all - but self defense ain't supposed to be fun is it?

I'm 72 now and still pack a bit but, because of my age, going super light is just not the way to go. I now carry a S&W 386 (see pic) which, at 26 ounces, is still quite light (its a 7 shooter) and will deal with pretty much all that you might encounter on the trail (large bears excepted). Works for me.

tiscanfile-1.jpg

L_Killkenny

Go in style...

Look at the Ruger Montados. 3 3/4" barrel and six .45 Colts will do the trick. Chances are 1 in a million that you will ever need it and 99.99% of the time the thing will just ride around in a holster. Might as well look good doing it.

Last edited:

MLeake

Seems to me you are looking for a backup to a long gun...

... but also a sidearm that will be a solo piece for hiking.

While I like my LCR well enough, I wouldn't recommend a snubby .38 if you think you may employ it against 4-legged threats. It's just fine for the 2-legged variety.

Then again, hiking may involve some longer range shots, so I don't know if I'd really prefer a snubby in an outdoors milieu.

My two choices for hiking, assuming I'm wearing clothing that will conceal them, are a 4" GP100 with 180gr hard cast, or a 4" S&W 29 Mountain Gun with 255gr HC Keith loads, depending on the size of the local 4-legged types.

If it's really hot, so concealment clothing isn't really viable, then I have been known to carry an SP101 with 158gr.

Cheers,
M

Boarhunter

Another approach is to take a look at Smith's lines of scandium revolvers (including its new Night Guard series). Quite a lot to offer in a variety of calibers and sizes, all significantly lighter in weight than their steel versions.

Boarhunter

Ian0351

Ruger SP-101 in .357/.38, Stainless for all-weather use, 3.25" barrel.

You could go a little shorter on the barrel if you need to, but I wouldn't want to shoot .357 Magnum loads out of anything shorter than that.