Second outing with the Russian Mak

Tom B

After being scolded here I gave the Mak a good cleaning and lube before shooting it this time. Took it plinking at empty beer cans. Shooting GA Arms 9x18 95gr JHP (100 rds). Started at 17 yds but that was boring because of accuracy so I quickly moved to 25 yds. I pretty much rolled the cans at will. I would rate accuracy as VG. Had to adjust sight elevation up one screw click and ok. Reliabilty was 100%. I like the Russian Mak because of the adj sights but the front sight is too small on all Maks for my eyes.

railroader

Tom,I have a russian mak too. I had a new front sight that was wider and taller dovetailed into the slide.Then I took a small file and opened up the rear sight a tad. Also had to file down the new front sight because it was too tall. Cold blued where I filed. Now it has a good sight picture.

Tecolote

Tom,

Glad to hear your Mak is up to standard. Remember you can get new manufactured non-crrosive ammo at great prices from Dan's. Dan Tobin is a reliable guy who won't fleece you.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Tom B

Mine came with adj rear and small front sight. It appears to be the same front sight that comes on fixed sight models.

bullet44

railroader;
were you happy with the work of Beast ent.?
I was planning on sending my Makarov for
sights and the matte finish.

------------------

railroader

bullet44, The front sight came out real good, had to file off about half of it though. The slide being refinished caught me off guard because the slide had a nice bluing and it came back matte black. I didn't relize he was going to refinish it. The finish is kind of a dull black. I wound up bead blasting the whole gun,the bluing on the frame was crummy from the factory. I then used Brownell's bake on teflon moly finish. That stuff works good. It has more gloss. Putting on a different front sight was definately an improvement. It works with the adjustable russian sights, don't know about the fixed sights on the eg and bulgarian macs.