Second best 1911?

Redhook

I really really like the Wilson Combat CQB Compact and I'm doing everything I can to get the money together to purchase one. But, it still looks like it will be a while and I'm starting to consider other options.

So, which other 1911 in the hybrid commander bbl with officers frame would you recommend? If I go with a production 1911 and have a smith work on it when I get more cash, can I ever really expect to get the same performance out of it? What should I do?

-Red-

Eric Larsen

Kimber makes a gun like you want, Baer also does....how much do you want to pluck down presently ...there all nice. But the Baer models IMO rival the Wilson for about 1K less......thats alot of ammo.......ALOT of ammo!
Shoot well

stickslinger

I've been drooling over that CQB as well. I bought a Kimber compact cdp for about $900 new. I've been very satisfied. I think if you wanted the full length grip, their regular compact is cheaper.

Kevinch

Redhook, I'm not exactly sure why you want one?

If you are still planning on buying the Wilson, you're going to have to part with somewhere in the $600 - $800 minimum range to pick up someone else's offering. If you are then going to spend more $$ to have it customized, your Wilson keeps moving further out.

But if you are giving up on the Wilson for a while, I'd look at what Kimber has to offer. Their "Compact" and "Pro Carry" guns have 4" barrels. Depending on which pistol you look at, you can get either an Officer or Goverment length grip, stainless or aluminum frame, black or stainless finish, etc. The most economical item they carry would be the Pro Carry II, my guess is you could find one for about $635 or so. At the other end of the scale is the Compact CDP II & the Pro CDP II, either of which would run closer to $925.

On the other hand, if you simply want a gun to shoot while you collect the funds necessary for the Wilson, Charles Daly manufactures a 4" 1911 that you should be able to find for less than $400.

Not sure what an SA or Colt would run you.

Redhook

This will be a CCW gun! I am already aware of what other manufacturers have to offer. But, I was looking for some practical experience with the other guns. You know, the good, bad, and the ugly. I know you can get some good deals buying used, but I usually buy new and was looking at the $1650 - $1800 price range for the CQB compact.

Eric, where can I get a Baer for $600 - $800? That would be a steal, but the cheapest I've seen it in the $1400 range.

Kevinch, I get the feeling that you don't like wilson guns. Any reason why?

-Red-

tonyz

Here one nice deal.

Les Baer Concept VII

Here's a new one.

Les baer

The Les Baer's are nice, but I would go with a kimber. Then, if you feel you need some custom work done, you got a great pistol to start with, for a lot less money. That money could be spent on custom work. Hell you may find you don't want any custom work done and have lots of money left over for ammo or reloading supply's.
If money is not an object, the Buy a Kimber, Wilson, And a Les Baer and compare. You can then let us know which ones sit in the safe.

Tony