Seating the Hornady 44c (.430) 225gr FTX BULLET FLEX-TIP

Kram

Happy Friday to all..
I think I have everything I need to load this round but I'm a little concerned about seating the bullet.
I'd love to hear from those who have used these bullets. I've read that there could be some damage to the flex tip and or plating using a standard Lee die. Any help would be appreciated...

Be well and Thank you

44 AMP

Staff
Take the seating stem out of your die and see how one of the bullets fits in it.

It's possible there isn't clearance for the pointed flex tip, and if so, it would get mashed when seating.

Get a spare seater stem, and drill it out just enough so that the flex tip touches nothing. The stem will bear as it does normally, on the jacketed ogive of the bullet, not the tip.

I don't use those bullets, but I've done similar things with seating stems made for RN or SWC bullets so they can seat pointed bullets without mashing the tips.

The other "old school" alternative is to use a hard wax (like sealing wax) and use that on the seating stem to adapt it to the nose contour of the bullet. It will last for a while, but isn't permanent and requires you to keep an eye on it and redo it when it breaks down or comes loose from the stem.

Hope this helps.

you might also call Lee and see what they recommend...

stagpanther

The other "old school" alternative is to use a hard wax (like sealing wax) and use that on the seating stem to adapt it to the nose contour of the bullet. It will last for a while, but isn't permanent and requires you to keep an eye on it and redo it when it breaks down or comes loose from the stem.
Or use quick steel and do an implant of the bullet nose in the stem to shape the quick steel. I had to do that for long eld's and vld's for certain dies before the stems came out for them specifically.

Kram

rcbs makes a stem just for that bullet ( which I have and use)....Lee may also ...give'm a call

I see the one from Hornady but I can't seem to find the one from RCBS.
I'll give Lee a call in the morning

Thank you