seating depth? 6mm arc 85g Nosler partition?

Shadow9mm

Anyone loaded the 85g Nosler partitions in 6mm arc? I don't have a Nosler manual and 6mm arc is a touch on the newer side. Was looking to load with TAC or CFE223

Looking at the hornady manual I have they shows a 87g SP flat base that looks to have a similar profile. They have it loaded at 2.140. Figured that would be a good starting point, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone has better info.

Also, does the current nosler manual have 6mm arc data? I did not see anything on their website.

bamaranger

Can't help with your seating depth, but I shoot that Nosler in one of my .243 carbines and am well satisfied with it on whitetails. However, the 6mm/85 gr partition has been a difficult bullet to locate for sale.

I may have read it's been discontinued.......but I am not certain of that.....even a little bit.

stagpanther

Anyone loaded the 85g Nosler partitions in 6mm arc? I don't have a Nosler manual and 6mm arc is a touch on the newer side. Was looking to load with TAC or CFE223

Looking at the hornady manual I have they shows a 87g SP flat base that looks to have a similar profile. They have it loaded at 2.140. Figured that would be a good starting point, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone has better info.

Also, does the current nosler manual have 6mm arc data? I did not see anything on their website.
Interesting question, the ARC generally uses long high bc bullets that go well down into the case while still being seated fairly long beyond the mouth. Not sure if your question is also asking indirectly about how much of the case capacity you can use to fill with powder since you can generally go well past 2.14 COL assuming you're not jamming the base of ogive into the lands. I do have the 6mm partitions but haven't used them in the ARC. I did try a small flat base bullet that there was no reload data for and ran into incipient signs of over-pressure when filling the case with more powder to take advantage of extra H2O space when seating long.

Last edited:

stagpanther

Since you asked...

I recycled some old grendel brass into some ARC brass for the heck of it, and figured why not, I'll fireform with the 85 partition. I didn't sort, weigh or do anything special other than neck down and trim the brass to fit the chamber. I picked a random load of 27.1 grs of IMR 4166 and used Genix 5.56 primers (which are probably the equivalent of SR magnum primers). I bought many thousands of them when absolutely nothing else was available. I measured in my chamber about 2.192" for the base of ogive to engage the lands, so I seated somewhere around 2.19." These fired and cycled fine from a magazine.

I had an OK group at 122 yds going and then for some reason pulled one way right. I seem to do this a lot and think I may have contracted a bad FTD (Firearm Transmitted Disease). The 4 inside shots were about .85 MOA. Might be worth checking out, though I'd suggest a better primer.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6mmARC85part122yds27.1IMR4166.jpg
    6mmARC85part122yds27.1IMR4166.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Not bad at all! Did a little reading and got some rough measurements. Hornady has a flat based soft point not too dissimilar in shape, but its 87g vs 85. It it appears to be a touch shorter though at .930 vs .950. Using a modified case, i got some rough measurements from my chamber. Using hornadys data of col 2.140 i should be 0.043 off the lands but seated 0.020 deeper into the case. Id say thats within a reasonable margine. Got a few loads together to start working it up. Will see how it goes.