seating and removing case bell.

maillemaker

Hi all.

I'm new to reloading. I'm setting up a Lee 1000 set up for 45 ACP that I got for Christmas 10 years ago and just took out of the box yesterday.

It has 3 stations stations. As I understand it:

Station 1 knocks out the primer and sizes the cartridge

Station 2 bells the mouth of the cartridge, seats the primer, and drops powder

Station 3 seats the bullet and removes the case bell simultaneously.

I was reading this tutorial here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407195

And it says not to seat the bullet and remove the case bell simultaneously. But several posters said they do it that way, and I think this Lee 1000 does it that way.

What's the story?

Steve

PA-Joe

Some seating dies will do the final crimp at the same time. Do you have a three dies set or the 4 dies set with the factory crimp?

demigod

I like the taper crimp die as the last step in my 45acp load. I read too many issues with the seating and crimp die combo.

alfack

I agree with having a separate taper crimp die. Also, hopefully in step 2, the primer is seated before the powder is dropped :) I haven't used a Lee setup, but most of the rigs I have seen seat the primer in station 1.

maillemaker

Some seating dies will do the final crimp at the same time. Do you have a three dies set or the 4 dies set with the factory crimp?

The Lee Pro 1000 has 3 stations and 3 dies.

Also, hopefully in step 2, the primer is seated before the powder is dropped I haven't used a Lee setup, but most of the rigs I have seen seat the primer in station 1.

In the Lee Pro 1000, station one knocks out the primer and sizes the shell.

Station two seats the primer on the down stroke, and bells the case mouth and drops powder on the up stroke.

Station three you set a bullet in place on the down stroke, and it is seated and crimped on the up stroke.

Steve

PA-Joe

If you want to add that forth step (separate taper) you can back the station three die out 2 turns. Seat a batch of bullets then remove the seating dies and repalce it with the factory taper die. Then run the batch through the forth step. The concern it that the 45 acp seats on the rim. If there is too much of a flare left it will be hard to chamber and may cause a failure to lockup the action. Remove too much of the flare and it will not seat correctly in the chamber.

engineermike

I am finding that crimping take a little getting used too. Not sure, but on my Hornady die set, I have a taper crimp in the seater die but after loading a couple of 38 special rounds I believe the further down you set the crimp on the die it looked like the taper turned into a roll crimp. Anyway, I bulged case or two so I pulled the bullets and now going to start over. Oh Yea! The sizing and decaping die was bad, I mared the outside of the case when I ran them through the sizing die. Hornady is sending me a new die body, it's supposed to be here tomarrow so I'll start over then. I used to not crimp my 9mm's and my S&W 40 but started reading threads on this site and ventured out into taper crimping my loads and I believe they cycle better when I crimp than when I don't.
As you can tell :) I have more time on my hands than most and I just like to play with things. I bought a micrometer the other day, just for grins, thinking that I might not every us it but yesterday at at a gun show I ran into some Hornady 9mm 147 grain bullets, in plastic zip lock bags and could not pass up a bargan. So now I can use my micrometer to measure my purchase and be sure the are .355 and then I can weigh them on my newly refurbished Redding bullet scale to be sure they are 147 grain (Flat Nosed) and after spending most of the day duing that they will be ready to load. Someday I'll buy a case trimmer and spend a day trimming some cases and see what a crimp works on them.

Don't know when I'll find time to get to the range.:):)

Mike

PA-Joe

Mike those 38s, 357s, 41s and 44 mags have a slightly rolled crimp. Unlike the ACPs they seat on the rims.

engineermike

Thanks PA-JOE;
I was adjusting my crimp down until the bullets fit into the cylinder of my 38. (Used the cylinder for my gauge) Buy the time they started to fit it looked like a slight roll crimp. I had other problems with my sizer die and brass but next time I'll adjust my crimp a little slower. (Maybe 1/8 a turn at a time instead of 1/4)