SDB .45 ACP reload question

DAL

I just switched my SDB over to .45 ACP from .38 Spl. for the first time with no problem. The crimp on the .45 round, however, doesn't look like a factory round. I made up a dummy round (no primer or powder) and it seemed to feed okay from the magazine of my 1911, and of course it fit in my S&W 625 revolver.

The thing I'd like to know is this: has anyone here had any problem feeding .45 rounds through their 1911 straight from their SDB? If so, how'd you fix it? Did you use a Lee FCD? I have one, but I have not used it yet.
DAL

MADISON

.45 ACP reload question

You need a .45 ACP TAPER CRIMP die.
Semi-Autos, all require a "taper crimp" to feed properly. You can spend the money for a TC or simply remove the decapping stem from the sizing die. A second sizing die works well since using the sizer requires re-adjusting...

DAL

So I'm assuming that I should somehow render the crimping die in my SDB inoperative and use the Lee FCD on my single stage? Please let me know if I'm out in left field with the above statement.
DAL

Jim Watson

If you are loading cast bullets, leave the taper crimp in the SDB alone and run loaded rounds through the Lee CFC in your single stage. Set the taper crimp adjustment on the CFC to add just a little to the SDB taper crimp.

If you are loading jacketed bullets, try some in a cartridge gauge or in your barrel - clean and out of the gun. If they pass, you don't need the extra step of the CFC. If they don't, see above.

Be sure that the bullets don't set back in the cases from impact against the feed ramp - check by pushing Hard against the edge of the bench. If they do set back, you need a tighter sizing die or a smaller powder funnel/case neck expander; or both.

At least that is what I did with a SDB before I upgraded to S1050.

DAL

I am using cast bullets, so I'll follow your advice and see what happens. Damn, loading for revolvers is SO much easier.
DAL

JohnK

A friend of mine has loaded thousands of 45 ACP rounds on his SDB without any problems, both for his 1911 and his Dad's 4516. It could be that you just need to play around with the setting to get the crimp you need. It's also possible that the die is defective, if you still have problems after trying different settings give Dillon a call, I'm sure they'll be happy to replace the die for you.

blades67

The crimp on the .45 round, however, doesn't look like a factory round. I made up a dummy round (no primer or powder) and it seemed to feed okay from the magazine of my 1911, and of course it fit in my S&W 625 revolver.

You're getting too hung up on what the crimp looks like. Make up 20 rounds and test them. If they work, they work. If you just can't get past what they look like, call Dillon and let one of their rep's walk you through some troubleshooting. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend money on a progressive machine and then use a single stage press to finish your ammo.

HankB

I load LOTS of .45 ACP on an SDB - mostly 230 grain cast RN - and I've never had a problem with crimp.

Does your ammo chamber easily?

Can you push the bullet deeper into the case with finger pressure? (This would be bad.)

Try measuring the OD of the case at the crimp with a micrometer, and compare that with factory ammo.

Bottom line - if the ammo functions reliably, don't sweat it.

Zak Smith

You don't need and can't use a Lee Factory Crimp die on the SDB. I've loaded thousands of rounds in .45ACP on my SDB with no problems, shot through my 1911. I crimped the "heck" out of those loads with no ill effects.

-z

JohnK

Wow, another blast from the past.

SDB = Dillons Square Deal B press. It only loads handgun calibers and uses Dillons proprietary dies.

Norm Lee

45 ACP and SDB

Hey DAL:
It's not clear that you actually have a problem. Have you loaded and tried some real rounds since your post?
Here are a couple of things you can pick from to try.
1. Adjust crimp die, measure the crimp. Set it at .470"
2. Back crimp die out. Gradually screw it in, cycling the round at each iteration. Stop when round fits easily into a case gage.
3. Back die out. Insert factory round in station 4. Raise ram.Screw die in to make firm contact. This should give you a factory equivalent crimp.

These methods all work. Pick one.

Cheers,

Norm

DAL

Wow!

I clicked on this thread, began reading it, and I saw that this guy reloaded the same two calibers on his SDB as I do. Then I noticed the name of the person who started the thread--and it was ME! What a coincidence.

Anyway, I've loaded and fired many .45 ACP rounds since first posting this. I do still run them separately through a Lee FCD, just to be sure.
DAL