Screens for sorting mixed pistol brass

locknloader

Are there any cheap screens for sorting range brass (pistol sizes). Most of it is 9/40/45 but may be some other stuff mixed in like 38spcl, 380, etc.

I need a better way to do this in bulk, getting very time consuming sorting by hand (and dirty).

jetinteriorguy

Go to Midway, and search for shell sorter. It's a series of three trays that do exactly what you need. You will also need the additional aluminum plate for .380. These work great.

Steve in PA

Midway! Just but the shell sorter set.....works great! In my department we shoot .223, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp. I don't keep the .40 stuff, but I keep all the others. The sorters make short work of separating the brass.

Chainsaw.

Shell sorter from midway works great, but you'll be cussing .40. Ask me how I know.

I have a buddy who is my....reloading partner..? Anyway, I told him to quit picking up 40 cause its a constant wrench in the works. Aside from that the sorters are great time savers.

BigJimP

I use the 3 tray shell sorters all the time..../ ...and as far as .40 S&W...the middle tray catches them just fine ... I'm confused about any issue...

You can buy the sorters from all kinds of sources...Dillon, Brownells, Midway, etc..

BigJimP

Sure, you will always get some 9mm stuck in .40 cases....its not the fault of the shell sorters ...its just a factor of relative size...

And it only take a couple seconds to separate them...or just dump them into the recycling bucket...

Using the sorters ...cuts down on my time to sort 1/2 gal of brass or so after every range trip...I really like them / wouldn't be without them.

Doublehelix3216

I use the trays as well, and they are a HUGE time-saver, no doubt. I also have the .380 metal screen insert... it works marginally well in my opinion. No matter how hard I try, I still end up with .380 cases in with my 9mm. I have no issues with .40, but yes, the 9mm cases will nest with the .40's and you need to break them apart by hand.

As @Disseminator says, get some ear protection before you start shaking!

locknloader

I really like that setup jmorris... i'm gona have to see if i can find some rollers on craigs list and rig something up with the dry tumbler i never use. :)

Steve in PA

LOL about the ear plugs for use with they Midway trays!

The other night it was slow at work, so I decided to sort a full, 5-gallon bucket of mixed brass.

The trays worked great. Got plenty of .45acp, 9mm and .223 brass. But shaking those trays in my office was loud!

mrdaputer

OP did you figure out what you are going to do? I too went with the midway shell sorter years ago and still works great. I shoot 40's so not a PITA for me

F. Guffey

I went looking for shell sorters, I told them I had 23,000 cases to sort, I told them when finished we would divided the cases among us. Anyhow; I sorted the cases and found two Berdan cases, when I went to put the two Berdan cases away I could not find them.

F. Guffey

locknloader

$40 is a little steep for a few plastic trays IMO, i will likely make a DIY version either with roller or some sheet metal and cut slots that will only let certain size cases through.