Scratched a Muzzle Like An Idiot

TunnelRat

Hey all,
So I was putting my new to me M1 Carbine in a gun sock before I put it in the safe. I was feeding it in muzzle down like an idiot and it slipped out of my hand. I thought the sock would stop it (I still had hold of the sock) but the barrel apparently punched right through (an Allen sock from Midway for those wondering). Anyway the rifle went down about 2-2.5 ft onto concrete. The sock did seem to protect the muzzle a bit but there are now some scratches on the crown. Since it dropped muzzle first all the scratches are on the topmost part of the crown (see the attached pictures). I plan to shoot it tomorrow to check if there are any problems. I ran my finder over the crown and hit it with some CLP and a brass bronze brush and the scratches don't appear to be anything more than surface marks.

Do folks think I'll be okay? What do you think from the pictures? It seems superficial to me, but it's the first time I've ever done something like this and I know how critical the crown can be. The marks are at the 2 o'clock position if 12 o'clock is directly below the front sight post.

Thanks,
-TR

Fishbed77

I don't see any damage to the crown (the point where rifling ends) in those photos, just some scratches on the muzzle that would be unlikely to have any effect on accuracy.

TunnelRat

That was my impression as well. It did fall straight down. I've got a bunch of ammo to run through it. I shot it a bit before this happened so I can compare it hopefully.

Mosin-Marauder

Did you have the bayonet on while putting it in the sock?:D

But in all seriousness, that's not the crown. My Mosin's muzzle is scratched up a bit but the crown is fine (where the rifling ends).

Also, it may be time to invest in a hard case or at least a soft case. At least one to put it in on the way home if you have a gun safe. I put all my C&R guns in a hard case to protect from any unnecessary damage. Especially if I had an M1 Carbine (I will soon, hopefully! ). You have a beautiful piece of history, it's good to keep it that way.

4thPoint

The contour of the crown at the end of the barrel did exactly what it was intended to do - protect the rifling.
You have some cosmetic damage, nothing serious.

TunnelRat

But in all seriousness, that's not the crown. My Mosin's muzzle is scratched up a bit but the crown is fine (where the rifling ends).

Yea that's what I had hoped.

Also, it may be time to invest in a hard case or at least a soft case. At least one to put it in on the way home if you have a gun safe. I put all my C&R guns in a hard case to protect from any unnecessary damage. Especially if I had an M1 Carbine (I will soon, hopefully! ). You have a beautiful piece of history, it's good to keep it that way.

I actually bring it to the range in a hard case, but my safe isn't big enough for every rifle to have its hard case. So the ones with wooden stock or bluing get put in socks just in case something tips. Ironic as if I hadn't used the sock I wouldn't have had the problem. :rolleyes:

9x19

It's clearly ruined... you should offer it as a Karma give-away!

:D

It looks fine... a bit of G96 gun blue and you'll never know.

TunnelRat

It's not a USGI model to be fair. Well, not truly. It's a Plainfield Machine, one of the earlier ones from 1962-1965. Besides the metal handguard though most parts seem to be late WWII GI from the markings I found. Not sure about the barrel. Hopefully doing a disassembly soon.

tahunua001

you're fine, that part of the crown does not touch the projectile at all, the only thing you need to worry about are burrs which can catch on bullets as they are leaving or severe erosion from cleaning rods(which USGI didn't use) so you're fine.