Scout Scope or Red Dot?

amprecon

I am looking at enhancing the capabilities of my rifles and have already set up the M1A with the ARMS mount and have a 6X scope ready to put on it when it gets back.
But I also want to get the Ultimak rail/tube for the SLR-95 and the Scout Mount for the Garand, my question is which type of optic would be more beneficial to swap between the 3 rifles, a forward mounted magnified scout scope or a non-magnified red dot. For the red dot I've already decided on the Aimpoint CompC3 and for the scout scope I'm looking at the Leupold 4X28 or the Burris 2.75X20 scout scopes.
I'm thinking that the red dot would add more versatility to my abilities, as the M1A would have a standard scope setup, the red dot would fill the quick acquisition, short-to-medium range role.
I took my Garand deer hunting and during the late afternoon I had a doe out about 75 yards through the trees and the sun was back and to the side of me and cast a shadow across the front sight from the sight ears. Every time I figured out where the shadow line was and the top of the sight was the doe would move and I'd have to figure it out all over again until she walked out of sight.
I knew that if I had either a red dot or other optic attached she'd of been down a few seconds after I first saw her.
So what's your opinions or preferences, I'm looking for the one that would add more versatility to my collection and be more practical for all-around use.

Every situation is different, but..... I'd probably go with a nice red-dot. If it's windage and elevation adjustments are consistent you could very likely switch it out between rails and not have to go through sighting it in again. (It may not be terribly likely, but the potential is there if the return-to-zero is good enough on the various rails).

An iron sight or red-dot should be good for COM hits out to at least 200 yards, right? So with the M1A you're good from 0-to-200 and 100-to-500, with a nice overlap.

doc540

my 2 cents

BSNTrophy_73135.gif

amprecon

Well I've decided to split the difference and get the Aimpoint CompC3 2X 1moa sight. I figure I can get a little bit of both with 2X magnification and a visible point of aim with the lighted reticle.

amprecon

I am definitely a K.I.S.S. person and any new toys had better provide some very significant advantages before I even consider them. However, I have experienced situations while hunting where the lighted reticle would have made the difference between success and failure. So I am aware of it's gains and flaws and that's why I chose the high quality durable optics I did. When it fails to function when I need it, it'll be removed in a few seconds and it'll be back in action.