Scout Rifle and Heavy Rifle with similar trajectories and handling

Glamdring

I agree with some of the ideas that Ross Seyfried and Ashley C. Emerson have expressed in
print.

Ross has mentioned several times picking cartridges of different caliber/power levels that
have very similar trajectories so that when you grab your Elk rifle you can use same holds
that your used to with your "deer rifle". So for deer you might use a 270 or 280 but for a
one in life time hunt in Alaska or Africa (plains game) you might want bit more power and
use a 338 with a 225 grain premium bullet that has similar trajectory.

Ashley wrote in a recent SWAT article about the benefits of having a 22, a small bore, and a
heavy or medium that have similar scopes, actions, & safeties (I liked the 22rf, 30-06, 375
that was pictured in that article).

Fact is if I hadn't used a Steyr Scout rifle for a few years I might pick a set or rifles in 22,
30-06, and 375. Since I have the scout rifle in 308, I am looking at a 416.

Because the Scout rifle has only a 19" barrel the trajectory of 150 grain bullets, 2700+ fps
with Max handloads or the Hornady Light Magnum factory ammo, should be almost
identical to the 416 with a 350 X @ 2600.

I don't really like the forward mounted scope of the Scout rifle so I plan to use Leupold
1.5-5x scopes on both rifles in regular position. For me conventional scopes at low power
are a lot faster for snap shots.

Don't get me wrong I like most elements (lt wt, military caliber, short OAL) of the Scout
rifle concept but I think the Steyr lacks a bit on the ergonomic side. I will probably get a
416 built on a Mauser action, then get a another Scout on a Mauser action and retire the
Steyr to reserve duty.

Does anyone think my thoughts have merit? Any suggestions for a 22 or other varmint gun
to fit with the 308 and 416?

Does anyone know if Ashley Emerson hangs out here on TFL? I had a question about one
of his guns pictured in last SWAT issue.

Is Brent Clifton still in business?

Chipster

I am no expert.

For successful hunting one must know the range to the quarry. Knowing the range is independent and unrelated to the quarry. One must also know the trajectory of the cartridge to estimate correct point of aim.

Unless one is on a major hunt where multiple kinds of animals are likely, one rifle would be used. I can't see how having the same trajectory for all calibers would be beneficial on single animal single rifle hunts. It seems you would simply remember that particular trajectory for the weekend event.

For safari, with three rifles and means to carry three into the field simultaneously, the idea makes some sense.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Working to get nearly-duplicated stocks and triggers is definitely worthwhile. Based upon a couple of my own bad experiences, I'd say that trigger-pull is the more important. I learned the hard way that changing from a light-touch trigger to a stiffer one will make you shoot low.

Having similar trajectories means one less factor in an already complex equation. It's not particularly important within 200 yards, but on those occasions when your only choice is to play Ma Bell, it can make a difference.

All the above is less important if you're hunting from a fixed position; you have more time to think. Walking hunting is much like bird hunting; it's all reflex and very much RIGHT NOW!.

Art