Scout mount question

101guns

Have any of you used the Long Eye Relief Scope and mount for introducing a kid to a centerfire? My daughter took her first deer this past weekend with a 45 LC with a 4x Burris...despite my pressing it back to her shoulder, whisphering gentle squeeze, running the video, etc, I neglected to see that she was too close. She got bumped (not cut) and luckily the adrenaline overcame the pain.

She is 7 and I will be moving her up to a 7mm-08 next year with the reduced recoil or up to a 30-30 Spikehorn (found one), but another friend is recommending the 7-08 Ruger compact in a scout configuration...just looking for anyone with experience. Our shots are less than 100 yards.

Any considerations?
What about last few minutes of shooting light?

Thanks

Rembrandt

Long eye relief scopes are more popular in Europe than in the U.S. Not sure they are any better than a conventional relief for introducing youngsters to shooting. I would make the argument a halo or red dot might be better for kids to acquire a sight picture. These allow the shooter to keep both eyes open and not worry about loosing sight picture because they are too close or too far away from the eyepiece.

Have a long eye relief on this Benelli because the barrel/sight can be changed without re-sighting scope each time.

shotgunhunt1.jpg

scouter27

What is she going to be hunting next year that the 45LC won't work on?

You don't want to move her up too fast. Instilling fear is not a good way to keep her interested.

On to business:

I think a scout setup would work well. A decent traditional position scope with slightly longer eye relief would work well too.

I like IER scope setups, but they aren't for everyone. If you start her off on it young though, she might be hooked for life. In this case, that's not a bad thing.

101guns

Thanks guys...Scouter...the 45 LC is legal here in La. during primitive weapon season, but i was not pleased with the lack of an exit hole at less than 50 yards with the Leverevolutions. The deer ran a good ways and it was a solid hit...hard to find the blood trail too. She shoots a lot and hasnt had a problem. We shoot a lot of .22 ammo in a year's time. For centerfire, I let her use a Leadsled. Then, when she is hunting, the excitement kicks in and she doesnt feel anything when pulling the trigger.

By the way, I always talk about how a gun "pushes" and never say the word "kick". Has worked good so for with 2 girls.

I am thinking that we may get better performance next year with a 30-30, 7-08, .260 or even one of my mini-mausers in 7.62, but I am just worried that the scope might get her. That's why my friend has peaked my interest withthe LER/Scout set up.

bamaranger

say what?

"my pressing it back into her shoulder"

Sounds like you held the rifle and she pressed the trigger and got wacked.

Glad she wasn't hurt. Ever think she was just to young/small?

I know its done.....plenty, but I'm agin' it.

Doyle

I detest scopes with too short an eye relief. I've never been whacked by a scope and I never intend to be. I can only get away with that statement because I set up my scopes with plenty of space between my forehead and the bell. That requires scopes with decent eye relief.

sundog

I built a K98 into a scout for a friend. The scope mount fit into existing rear sight mount and mounted a 2X long relief rifle scope, along with some other work. I am so impressed that I am going to build another for myself as I find a receiver or an old beater that needs rejuvination (read don't spend much). Target acquisition is amazingly fast with BOTH eyes open, and I do not feel as though I am giving anything up as far as optics. It is what it is, a scout rifle, and does an exceptional job doing it. Shots to 200 yards are very easily doable and although we have not yet tried it I'm thinking out to 400 should be no problem.