Scott, McDougall & Associates

RobertEsq1

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them and whether you reccommend their work on these diminutive belly guns. I have a pocketlite .380 I am considering sending to them. Oh and any options or comments on what was good or...not so good.
Thanks in advance.

I've not had any work done by them, but I've known Mac Scott for over 10 years now, and have seen a number of the guns they've done. (Mac even busted on my in one of his catalogs several years ago! :) )

Mac is semi-retired now, but Doug McDougal continues with the business.

The work they do, from what I have seen and those owners I have spoken with, is absolutely TOP NOTCH.

CZ_

I've dealt with them before, and since I actually live near them I just can drive to their shop.

The good:

*They do EXCELLENT work on 1911s.
*Quality is top notch, they can turn a mediocre out of the box pistol into a wonderful jem!
*They do very good trigger work on Sigs, BHP's, and they do fine work on CCW guns (Kahrs, NAA Gaurdian, etc).
*Very good work on Ruger & Smith and Wesson revolvers (I'm not sure they still work on the revolvers though)?

The bad:

*They work on very few types of guns (if you don't have a gun they work on, your SOL).
*Very high prices, IMO.
*Turn around time is VERY POOR IMO (they've taken months to do even minor work for me in the past).
*Customer service is subpar--they act resentful when you call them and ask the status of your job order.

Overall: They do very good work, but you have to live with their weak areas if you plan to do business with them. I'd recommend them, with the condition that the bad areas do not bother you much.

The turn around time is easy to explain -- they do their work on a first come, first serve business, and business is VERY good.

When their CCW business started taking off, they were forced to specialize.

johnwill

I've had a couple of guns done by them, and since the Colt Mustang is the topic of conversation, we'll talk about that one. Top quality work, and the little Colt is still my favorite pocket pistol. :) I recommend them, though as mentioned, the turn-around time will be significant I would imagine. I just inquired about another gun, and Doug quoted 2-4 months for the job.

Colt_Mustang_Pocketlite.jpg

If you're really an old timer here at TFL, you would remember when Scott, McDougall & Co. were moderating the Smithy Forum at TFL.

I didn't realize they did that.

I first met Mac through the Compuserve Firearms Forum.

Later sold him an AMT .380 Backup that he needed for use as an expert witness in a court case.

They overhauled my NAA Guardian and it came back very well done. Just nice and clean. Highly recommended. They'll take better care of you if you send treats for their dog, Larry (I think is his name).

ctc

I had SM&A do their magic on a Colt Mustang Pocketlite last year. I got the PCP + package - all the PCP stuff plus 25LPI frontstrap checkering, tritium inserts on the Novak sites & gnomekote (in gray). Turn around time was as predicted - 4 months. The work is fantastic. Fit and finish excellent and function flawless, ~1,000 rounds so far & nary a hiccup. As for "value for money" I did do some online comparisons and found them to be on par or better than other "smiths" of the same high caliber. Would I use them again – yes without a doubt. Below are a few pictures:

Mustang in Ivory
20028308295785871629359.jpg

Close up of the front “melt down”
20028303150648382563654.jpg

Front Strap Checkering
20028306587208509988186.jpg

-- Chuck

pittsdriver

SM&A Gun Work

I have a Colt Pony Pocketlight that has the complete pcp plus package from SM&A. It is a work of art and looks like it came from a jewellers case at Tiffany's. Function and accuracy is flawless. Great things take time to create. Give them the time they need to work your piece over. You will be happy with the results.

regards

Kentucky Rifle

pittsdriver...

"Great things take time to create. Give them the time they need."-----I like that. Best argument I've ever heard.

KR