Scored an Old S&W .38 Safety Hammerless 4th Model

lamarw

Visited a local auction yesterday and won this for a measly $75.00.

I would score it in at about a 30% condition but admit to not being an expert on these old revolvers. It is all original but has wear through of about 5% of the nickel finish and significant honest wear to the grips. The trigger and the trigger guard are blued as was original to the revolver.

It is chambered for .38 S&W with a 3 & 1/4" barrel. When the top break is opened it reveals 5 chambers in the cylinder. The mechanics of the old revolver seem to be in good condition.

My understanding is S&W referred to them at the time as "The New Departure", but the slang term of "Lemon Squeezer" is often used since the grip safety has to be squeezed to allow the trigger to pull.

The serial number indicates an estimated production of 1900. The Fourth Model was made between 1898 and 1907.

Attachments

• S&W 4th Model 1.jpg
    S&W 4th Model 1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 56
  • S&W 4th Model 2.jpg
    S&W 4th Model 2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 36
  • S&W 4th Model 3.jpg
    S&W 4th Model 3.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 32

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is somewhat amazing how well those guns (and the exposed hammer equivalents) seem to hold up. Unlike less expensive guns of the time, they do not wear rapidly and many are found almost new mechanically, even if the outside finish (mainly nickel plate) is worn or peeled.

They were made of the very best material available at the time, and I have never had any concern about firing modern .32 or .38 S&W cartridges in them, nor have I seen one blown up or beaten to death as is the case with lesser guns.

They do, of course, have flat springs, and some do break but, again, those springs were the best in the world and broken ones are rare. In fact, the only thing that seems to defeat them is ham-handed tampering by owners who simply must take them apart and pound, file, stone, and generally destroy the lockwork.

Jim

lamarw

Thanks Gary and Jim, I have no doubt it will shoot just fine. I don't expect to do a lot of shooting with it, but I am certainly going to give it a proper introduction to the back yard. The interior of the barrel is nice. The rear sights are about the dinkiest I have ever seen.

Since yesterday was Sunday and today Monday, it has been difficult to find any ammunition. I did find two places open, neither had .38 S&W.

I expect to have better luck tomorrow. There is always Gander Mountain in Auburn and Bass Pro in Prattville if all else fails. Then there is the internet. :)

James K

Member In Memoriam
Unfortunately, .38 S&W is hard to find. If you cannot reload, do NOT accept substitutes! .38 Special won't fit and .38 ACP or .38 Super may fit but will definitely damage the gun.

Jim