SCORE!!

msta999

A guy at work just gave me a belt of lead.....50 lbs of it. It is soft lead and scratches with my finger nail.

Here is a pic:

l_fe3f4f26cc204a4cba0a48277d71fbcc.jpg

Now I need to come up with some tin or other hardener.

Note the quarter in the center.

Citywaterman

That's great. How will you melt these large pieces of lead? Cut it down to a reasonable size? If there's a will, there's a way. That's a lot of bullets. Citywaterman

msta999

I've been trying to figure that one out myself. They are too big for my pot, my see if I can cut them on a band saw or something.....may just get one of those cast iron pots and melt them down on the grill burner.

I know how I would get those cut up into smaller pieces. I would use my cutting torch. If you do this, be EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY careful NOT to breath fumes and of course wear protective gear from head to toe. It would cut so fast you could probably hold your breath. I would definately have a strong fan pushing the fumes away. BUT, I have never done it before so I am not commenting from experience. I'm sure someone will come along who has tried it and may be able to comment from experience. And yes, a cutting torch will get lead hot enough to make fumes.....

speedracer211

A mapp gas torch will make short work of it. I use a small mapp gas bottle torch to melt down some ingots that are on the top of my pot.

Tex S

Dude... thats a weight belt for diving. Sell it to your local dive shop and take the money and buy 10x's as much lead. Dive belts aren't cheap. I work in the swimming pool industry and I think I paid $50 for a belt nowhere near as nice as yours. Mine only has two 8lb. weights too. It is also very possible the dive shop ripped me off!!!!

But I seriously think that belt is worth some cash, and at 56lbs. it is heavy enough to sink a damn elephant! I weigh 220 and 16 pounds drops me like a rock.

Last edited:

msta999

I did post it over on a diving forum and most said it was too heavy and they are cheap....very cheap, so I'll just hang on to it and see what turns up. I don't have to melt it down today, I can always do it tomorrow. :D

CrustyFN

I would buy a bigger pot. I bought this six quart dutch oven at Harbor Freight for $12. It will hold all four of those weights at the same time.

ry%3D400

Rusty