scoping the Mosin Nagant

Wyosmith

Hello to all you Mosin lovers and owners
Here is the link for contacting Weaver.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/general/contact_us.aspx

As you all probably know, the Mosin Nagant is the most manufactured Bolt action in the history of firearms and it’s in 2nd place to only the AK47 and its variants as the most manufactured firearm of all time.
And weaver doesn’t make a side mount for it.
The do make side mounts for the Arisaka, the SMLE, the 1917 Enfield, the Cooley M60, the Springfield 1903, The Krag, the Italian Carcano, The 98 Mauser, the Remington M-10 and even for the Winchester M-42 410 pump shotgun.
They seem to believe all these mounts have a demand, and the fact that they still make them proves they are right.

But they don’t make one for the Mosin Nagant?

The Mosin Nagant has been made in numbers so large that we can’t even know how many have been made. At least 71,000,000 and some estimate as many as 100,000,000. But Weaver thinks there is no demand.

COME ON WEAVER!!!! THINK!!!!

So what I am asking all the readers of this thread to do is to use the link and compose a short note to Weaver asking for a side mount for the Mosin Nagants. Hex and Round receivers both!

They may make them if enough of us ask, and point out how big this boat is that they are missing.

Clark

The ATI Mosin stock is junk.
The ATI Mosin bolt handle is junk.
The ATI scope mount is Gold.
http://www.amazon.com/Mosin-Nagant-Scope-Mount-5-10-2281/dp/B005MR66WC/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods

The mount has two holes. I pull the barrel from the receiver. I drill and tap three holes in the Mosin Nagant receiver, and drill and countersink a third hole in the ATI mount.
I also file off the sharp corners of the ATI mount.
I have converted Mosin Nagants to 7mmRemMag, used hot loads, and the ATI mount stands up to the recoil.
The ATI supplied 1/2" screws only get ~ 2.5 turns of engagement, and it is possible to get ~ 3.5 Turns with longer screws.
I used Allen head 3/4" cap screws and cut them to length, not the 1/2" slotted cap screws supplied by ATI.
The highest numbers for installation torque for 10-32 with high strength screws is 68 inch pounds plain [dry] and 51 inch pounds lubricated. Typically the waxed number should be 1/2 the dry number.
Because there is so little engagement with the thin receiver, we must reduce the torque.
I have calculated and verified with testing to destruction other 0.1" thick steel drilled and tapped that 35 inch pounds dry is the yield point.
I would recommend cleaning and drying the female and male threads and and then attaching with 20 inch pounds with blue loctite.

extrahole.jpg

ATIMosinNagantscopemount2009typetop2011typebottom7-15-2011.jpg

I am working on a Mosin 300WM krieger today.

tobnpr

I have used the Weaver side mount on a build.
Tough part, is getting it level with the bore- and rotating it to the exact position so that the rings are over the centerline of the receiver.

But, it does work. I'd like it a lot more if they had 30 mm rings for them.

Installed on the rifle, here:

http://www.biggorillagunworks.com/uploads/3/1/9/1/3191872/1433088061.jpg

As Clark said, the ATI is cheap, and works.

I'm currently installing another mount from Trueshot Technologies- it appears to be very well made, and is a "see-through" mount which would allow use of the iron sights if desired. Despite this, in a side-by-side comparison, it sits only marginally higher than the ATI so it doesn't significantly affect scope height/cheekweld positions.

It also has a built in 20 m.o.a. down-angle, and a third mounting point for rigidity at the stripper clip at the rear of the receiver. I'll post up some pics once I get the installation completed.

http://www.trueshottechnologies.com/mosin-nagant-.html

Wyosmith

The trick to make installation easy is to use the scope and rings at the same time.
What I do is to have a scope set in the middle of its windage and elevation range. Put the scope in the rings. Set the base where you want it and drill and tap one hole at one end. Install one screw and take it down all the way, but don't tighten it completely.
Screw down the rings with the scope installed to the base and bore sight. Move the scope by swiveling it to get close. Mark when you have good elevation. ( In some cases you may need to place a shim on one end too to get proper windage, but so far I have not had to do this. I have now mounted 4 scopes this way and none have needed shimming.)

Now when you know where you need to drill the 2nd hole (on the opposite end of the base) you can remove the scope and rings and drill and tap the rest of the holes through the base. Install the rest of the screws and tighten them all down and you are ready to replace the scope and rings and go zero the rifle.

I have used Weaver side mounts on many other rifles over the last 45 years and when they are made for the specific rifle you seldom need to do anything but drill and tap. If weaver would make one just for the Mosins, both hex and round, I am sure they would be VERY well received.

Use the link above in my first post and ask them to do it. Maybe they will listen to us if a few hundred of us all write. Can't hurt to try.

kraigwy

I was shooting one day when a guy showed up with a Mosin with a "scout type' rifle scope. It mounts on the existing rear sight mount by simply removing the rear sight and using the existing pin to mount the scope mount.

I shot it a couple times and just had to have one.

The silly set up comes with everything you need including the scope (and another sling from the Sportsmans Guide for about $60 bucks.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/5-pc-aim-sports-mosin-nagant-kit?a=916756

If I was going to do some serious shooting I'd probably find another scope but in my playing this cheap AIMs has been working great.

In my limited playing I found it to be accurate and fast. You do have to play with the set screws to get them to stay in place but its a simple fix.

Mosin%20Scout.JPG

What I really like about it is that it doesn't require any permanent modification to the rifle. All you need is a pin punch. to remove the pin holding the sight on and using that same pin to hold the mount on the rifle.

You can remove the scope/mount and replace the sight and you're back to an as-issued rifle legal for CMP Games.

If you want to do the same thing using your (long eye relief) scope and rings you can get the same mount for $16.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=Mosin+scope+mount

If nothing else, it adds fun to the already fun shooting rifle. You'd be surprised how fast getting on target this set up is.

Again what I like best about it is no modification to the rifle, and how quick it is to switch from irons to scope and back again.

Forgot to add, with this set up you can still use the stripper clips to load your Mosin.

skizzums

The scout scope mounts from brass-stacker are solid, but I personally don't like the concept for my uses. Probably good for hunting/plinking though. Tis true that the ATI type mount restricts use of stripper clips and even makes loading less convenient. Ideally would be an ATI with about an inch riser under it, I may try that next time. As for now though, I like the ATI, adding the extra hole for the third screw like Clark did is a must and easy to do.

tobnpr

I am working on a Mosin 300WM krieger today.

What modifications are required for the the boltface (just boring it oversize?)and magazine/receiver to get the rounds to feed?

I've heard of these being done, and have no doubt the receivers are strong enough- but what about the lugs/ bolt thrust?

No one makes a Savage pre-fit in .338 LM because the bolt lugs can't handle it, and they don't want the liability. I know the .300 WM isn't a .338 LM- just raising the question.

Road_Clam

Another vote for the good quality scout mounts. I went through a lot of BS to get a scope mounted to my Mauser 98 with a traditional action top mount , and after all that I smartened up and just did a simple non permanent "bolt on" scout mount for my 91/30

tobnpr

It's all about application.
LER scopes are designed for quick target acquisition, as in Cooper's Scout Rifle application.
Not particularly suited for target, especially longer range due to low magnification.

One should scope a rifle based on the need/application, not what's easiest or most convenient- that will only result in disappointment. JMO...

kraigwy

One should scope a rifle based on the need/application, not what's easiest or most convenient-

I agree with that statement. But my primary use for my Mosin is the CMP games in which it has to be "as issued".

Using scout mount I mentioned above allows me to use a scope for playing or working up loads.

Then by removing one pin, I can switch out the scope base and re-install the iron sights making it CMP GSM legal.

skizzums

I do have one complaint with the design of the ATI mount, that is that it needs more slots. I can never have the rings exactly where I want them on the scope and be far back enough for proper relief. This is likely because I have an aftermarket stock with a very long "butt" and didn't take that into consideration. It's easy enough to milk out slots, but they have more than enough room to double the slots from the factory and still not interfere with the bolt holes. Just sayin'

Clark

attachment.php

Getting the Mosin to shoot 300 Win Mag:
1) rebarrel
2) mill out mag well front, sides, and back
3) open up receiver feed lips and feed lip side ramps
4) Drill a hole for an ejector over ridle button so unfired [long 3.34"] cartridges can be unloaded.

The bolt face just works the way it is for 300 Win Mag.
For 45/70 conversion bolt face must be opened up.
For 223 conversion, the bolt head must be slotted for extractor relief