Scoping The Mini-14 for SD/HD and SHTF

sholling

I'm looking to make my Mini-14 Ranch into a reliable carbine that's accurate enough to be a good home defense/stuff-hits-the-fan rifle. ARs and Aks are illegal here and I'd like the Mini be a compliment to a planned M1A Loaded (22") or Squad Scout (18"), probably the Loaded but I'm not sure yet. Good enough accuracy shouldn't be a problem because it's going off to Great Western for GunDoc's magic.

What is a problem is selecting the optics. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I'm looking at a 1-4x24 illuminated scope or a 1.5-6x42 illuminated. I could mount the 1-4x24 about 3/32 lower and the 1x would be almost like using iron sights at 5-15 yards. Either 4x or 6x should be enough for 100-150 yards. Better than iron sights anyway. I'm really leaning hard toward the 1-4x24 but I'm wondering about how much light gathering I'm giving up for low light SHTF situations. Both are 30mm bodied Nikko Stirlings (I like Nikko Stirling). The 1-4x24 is their platinum grade - I think a step up from Nikon's Buckmaster line, and the 1.5-6x42 is their top of the line diamond grade.

Keeping in mind the intended use and 5-150yd ranges:
Question 1) Based on the description 1-4x24 vs 1.5-6x42 how much useful light gathering am I giving up with one over the other?

Question 2) Given the trade offs which of these two would you pick and why?

Please leave out the Mini hatred. I own one and I have to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

model70fan

No mini bashing here, I love mine, I have a 1-4 mounted on it and it works good, I also have a 3-9 40mm on quick detach mounts that I can have on there PDQ where the POI is only off by about 1/2" at 50 yds whenever I put it on. The 1-4 works good enough but if you want to be able to to engage targets at up to 150 yds a 6X may work better but the 4X will work as well. A mini has the ability to reach out and touch a man sized target at 150 yds, and if it isn't accurate enough it will at least make them duck:D But either scope will work on a mini for a HD/SHTF carbine