Scoping a S&W Model 10

Sam Harrison

Howdy folks... got a question for you all.

I have in my possession an old S&W model 10-6 revolver, blue, 6" bull barrel, K-frame. It's in nice shape. My brother bought it for around $250 a few years back and left it with me when he moved since I'm the only other person in our family who enjoys centerfire handguns.

The thing about this particular gun is that I've noticed it's surprisingly accurate. That is to say, I can shoot it at 30-50 yard targets and actually hit them consistently. I can't hit a thing with a .22 pistol at any distance, a .25 pocket pistol (no surprise there, huh?), or a .32 S&W long revolver. Just can't shoot those well. This particular revolver and I just go WELL together.

What I'm interested in doing is installing a scope on it. My eyes aren't great and I have a difficult time using iron sights on anything. I'd like to equip this gun for some more precise shooting, if possible.
I'm curious to hear if there are any methods to do this. I know it's fairly simple to drill and tap a rifle for a mount but I'm unsure about handguns.
The back sight is a fixed sight so any product that works by replacing that is out.

(In the past, I've had success with a lucky red dot scope on a .22 target pistol, pellet pistol, and even a slug shotgun. It seems to go well on anything. Maybe even this.)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
On a fixed-sight K-frame, it's going to take some machining work on the topstrap to mill out someplace for the scope base to sit, as well as be screamingly expensive. All in all, it would probably be easier to trade the 10 in on a 6" Model 14 or maybe a Model 66.

madcratebuilder

There used to be a scope mount that clamped on the top strap. I see them on Gunbroker and evil bay occasionally. I have a set around here someplace. They are OK for a .38, I wouldn't want to trust then on a magnum due to recoil. I don't remember the name of the company, they are no longer being made. The guy was out of southern CA and made nice mounts. If I run across them I post back with the name.