Scoping a Colt Flattop Upper

FPrice

I purchased a Colt Flattop upper for my Match Target rifle in order to play around with different sighting sytems and scopes. Mounting a scope with the normal (?) mounting rings I have found seems to work okay. Except for one little point.

The front post sight can be seen, albeit very faintly, in the scope's filed of vision. Is this something I should be concerned about or can I learn to ignore it and use the scope in the normal fashion?

The scope I am using is a "Colt" 3X9 variable (not sure if Colt actually made it or ordered it from someone else). Does anyone have any experience and suggestions in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Watson

It is normal to see an out-of-focus image of the front sight in the field of a low to medium power scope. Ignore it and put the crosshairs on the target.

sleeping dog

Dumb question time:

Why does a flat-top upper come with an A2-style front post?

Do "they" make gas blocks without the post sight? Can you get a removable A2 post to go with the removable carry handle rear sight?

'nuff dumb questions.

Regards.

Steve Smith

"Do "they" make gas blocks without the post sight? Can you get a removable A2 post to go with the removable carry handle rear sight?"

Yes, "they" do.

Redlg155

Sleeping,

The only difference is that the removable carry handle only has evevation adjustment to 600 meters. The standard A2 has up to 800 meters.

You also have the option of putting flip up rear sights or a solid rear sight and keep the scope mounting option. A really neat idea is the Rock River Arms Tactical Carry Handle and Rail.
13539eb0.jpg

F Price..I just learned to ignore it. To me it seemed more like a "ghost" image, but then I also had a 40 mm scope on it. It pretty much disappeared at higher magnification.

Good Shooting
RED