Scoping 10/22 VLEH

sks

Really looking at the 10/22 VLEH and wondering what would be the best scope on top. Not looking to win any championship matches but would like to shoot targets up to 100 yds. I don't want to spend more on the scope than the rifle but looking for a "good value" scope.

I am not a scope expert by any stretch. Thus far in my research, looking at people in Cableas across the store :), I really like the Cabela's scope for the $$.

All suggestions and reasons appreciated.

Thanks

big al hunter

If it stays on the 22 get the clearest scope in your price range. If you might ever take it off and put it on anything with recoil save a little longer and get a nikon prostaff or vortex crossfire on the low end. Or save for a little longer and get a burris, nikon buckmaster or vortex diamondback. Do some online research. Hit the makers websites and compare specs. THEN go to the store and look through them. If you don't know the differences between models the price tags will be your only guide and they can be missleading at times(especially on the low end of the scale)

Jim243

A decent 3-9X40mm variable does me well on mine they are not expensive scopes, I like the P-4 recitical on mine for adjustments for distance and wind. It will put you in the bull out to 100 yards if you work at it. In the X all the time at 50 yards with no effort at all.

Just a suggestion.
Jim

mrgoodwrench76

I agree with the mueller. I dont think you can do better for $130 but if your target shooting at 100, I'd look at a 4.5-14 vs a 3-9. The Redfield line has excellent stuff for about $160. I'm running one of each on my .22's right now and while the redfield has more precise repeat adjustments, the glass is equal between the two and they both carry excellent lifetime warrantys.

If your sole purpose is for target shooting, get one with target turrets making adjustments quicker and easier. I recomend this one:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/mueller-optics-4-5-14x-40mm-ao-all-purpose-tactical-riflescope.html

If the turrets dont matter to you, they make the same one with out for $130.

I've never owned a Cabella's brand scope but I've looked through them and the lower end stuff dosn't even compare to the 2 mentioned above.

Remember, a great rifle is worthless without good quality glass and just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

sks

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I don't mind spending $100.00 to $150.00 on the scope and understand a bad scope won't help the rifle shoot better. I'm just not in the market for a $500.00 + scope. My AR has an ACOG that cost me more than $600.00 some 12 years ago but that is an entirely different setup.

One of my friends is stunned that I would spend $600.00 on a .22 setup but the advantage is that I can shoot it all day for $15.00! Even reloading I can't shoot .223 or 7.62x39 for the price of .22 LR. So, I'll spend the money on the gun/scope and shoot happily all day for pennies.

I'll check out the Mueller as well.