Scopes

Tony Z

Why have fixed power scopes become so out of favor these days? I do have a couple of variables, but cannot remember changing power n the field, only at the range. I need some enlightenment!

jmr40

Years ago variable power scopes were not nearly as reliable and rugged as fixed power scopes and were often significantly more expensive. Today SOME fixed power scopes are slightly more rugged, but the difference is small and the price difference is negligible. There is very little incentive to buy something that is less versatile.

From my perspective most common fixed power scopes are usually 4X or 6X. For most of my hunting 4X is way more magnification than I'll need. All of mine are 1-4X, 2-7X or 3-9X and I can't remember ever shooting game with any of them at anything but the lowest setting. I choose them in order to have LOWER magnification. But I do like the option of more magnification in order to zero more precisely and if the opportunity for a longer shot presents. I never use anything but the lowest or highest setting, never anything in between. This reduces the possibility of POI changes as magnification is changed.

TXAZ

+1 on reliability of scopes with moving parts getting much better.

Plus the engineering has gotten much better, maintaining focus and sighting point across a 5-25 magnification at 600 or 1000 yards.

wpsdlrg

It is exactly as the others have said. At this point in history, variable scopes offer more flexibility....and no real drawbacks.

So, fixed scopes have simply fallen out of favor.

SJCbklyn

I guess if you have a target rifle and know your max distance for said rifle than you should know what magnification your comfortable with therefore a fixed power could makes sense.
For hunting I can't see a fixed power. That's my opinion. Do you need 25x in the woods... No. I leave my deer rifle on 4x but I usually crank it up before I shoot.

MarkCO

At least on the precision side, the issues of parallax have been mitigated by the combination of better glass and adjustable parallax at the high end. Beyond 200 yards is where parallax can become an issue, and there are still some low end variables with parallax issues. I used to use a fixed 10x at the range for group shooting out to 600 yards in an attempt to remove parallax errors, but now I don't need the 10x.

Where, and how I hunt and compete in matches often has me adjusting the magnification on my optics. With the Switchview, it is fast and easy, so that helps too.

BumbleBug

I live & hunt in Texas. To our good fortune, often it is not a problem of finding a deer to shoot but more of which one to shoot. The high-end magnification on a variable helps when studying & evaluating game. This is especially true in shooting culls, does & aged bucks. I do have a good pair of binoculars & a spotting scope, but nothing beats the convenience of a scope on a rifle for steadiness & ease of use. I do a lot more lookin' than shootin'.

FWIW...

fourbore

It is exactly as the others have said. At this point in history, variable scopes offer more flexibility....and no real drawbacks

There are advantages to both and I for one wish we had more fixed power options. The fixed power is less expensive to produce for a given level of clarity. For target shooting, in its many disciplines, the fixed power is (in theory) less money for performance. Almost any reasonable price 6-24 has poor image quality at 24x, while the same model (if only it were available) in a fixed 24x would be fine. I have a fixed 12x on a silhouette rifle and ranges vary but the target sizes is scaled up at the same time. I find 12x perfect. That scope is no longer made. I also find at the club, which is the only place some of my guns get shot, I tend to use ONLY the max setting of the scope.

I have a current manufacture tasco 4x on a hunting rifle and the scope is very light weight, very low cost, made in china and is clear and sharp. The variable tasco scopes are a significant step down in clarity. All things equal ($$), a variable weights more, with more complicated internal parts and optics not as clear. I can (and have) purchased a Leupold 2-7x, compact or ultralight, for a lot more money and have good performance with variable power and light weight. I have to pay up for that.

I have a Leupold 4-12x on another hunting rifle. It has some advantages as pointed out above. I payed the Leupold tariff to keep the weight down and performance good.

Some newbie thing a big scope with 50mm objective is a fashion statement. Money in the bank for scope builders. Making a big heavy scope is easy and less cost.

Jimro

They still make fixed power scopes, and people still buy them.

But it does seem like the "everyman scope" went from a 4x32 for big game hunting rifles with the occasional 6x42 for "long range" work to a 3-9x40 variable with the 4-12x50 for the occasional long range work...

Most hunters now are using scopes with way more magnification than they absolutely need to ethically hunt, but that doesn't hurt anything as long as they aren't sacrificing quality for magnification.

Jimro

Mr. Hill

There are certain situations in which having higher variable magnification really helps, like when you sight in or are hunting in variable terrain such as dark timber separated by large meadows or valleys.

Some folks like a bit more magnification and prefer it over increased field of view. I use a 3-9 scope, but I really like 5x or 6x magnification for some reason. And higher magnification (8x) seems to work well for my eyes for long distance shots and for counting antler points before I take the shot.

Some of us just like a little more magnification than the standard 4x or 6x typically offered for fixed scopes. And I do agree that variable scope mechanical quality and engineering have improved over the years. To each his or her own I suppose.

Last edited:

Mobuck

My favorite deer rifle is a 25/06 with a 6 x 40 fixed power. It does all I ask of it. The ONLY other fixed power scopes I use are a couple of 2.5x rimfire scopes and a K10 target scope.
Simple economics--variables are the most popular and hence usually cheaper than similar quality fixed power.

Blindstitch

All of my scopes are set to 6x and seldom get adjustment in the field unless i'm trying to identify things at longer distances.

joed

I think the variable power scopes are built much better now then they were years ago. My first variable scope was not that great so I went fixed. I still have 3 fixed power scopes from 24x to 36x and still use them. But, my newer rifles all have variable power scopes now.

DPI7800

I can't imagine running without a variable magnification. I have no issue with running magnification up and and down as needed just like my elevation. I actually had a hunt years back where I had pronghorn at 250 yards. I first diled up my elevation then twisted up the magnification. While I was waiting for him to turn broadside he decided that I looked really interesting and decided to come check me out so I simply reached up quickly turned the elevation back to 0 and then grabbed a handful of the magnification ring and gave it a quick twist back to 3 and waited a couple more seconds and then shot him square in the chest at 50 yards. No big deal.

But I am probably not your average rifle hunter, I'll shoot between 300 and 800 rounds in preparation of a hunt and I have also have received over 225 hours of prefessional precision rifle instruction. Thanks largely in part to my job.

Some newbie thing a big scope with 50mm objective is a fashion statement. Money in the bank for scope builders. Making a big heavy scope is easy and less cost.

I'll disagree on this one, I run a 3.5-15X50 Nightforce and I can guarantee I can can see more, better and longer duration in failing light than most. On good glass that larger objective gives a larger exit pupil which is critical during those failing lights situations.

Jimro

DPI7800,

I appreciate your input, but I'm not sure how useful it is to compare a top end Nightfoce with something like a Weaver K4. Target knobs aren't exactly common on normal hunting scopes. Big difference between a Nightforce and a low end Leupold, Burris, or Nikon. Features like a zero stop are wonderful to have, but are really not common.

Jimro

Rancid

I have several 12X SWFA SS scopes and they are a great buy for the money. I use them for open field hunting as well as shooting paper and steel. I also have adustable scopes. When I buy a new rifle (mostly low end models) I'll throw on one of the 12X's and wring it out as far as I can. Great fun! I have no problem killing stuff from 100-400 yards with these scopes. :D

Jack O'Conner

Bushnell still builds a 4X scope priced at under $70. which is a real bargain. But I would caution its use for a big booming magnum rifle or 12 gauge slug gun because recoil might affect its internal parts.

Jack

lefteye

The proper variable power scope provides the flexibility you may need on a hunt. I was hunting elk in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana and also had a bear license. My guide and I spotted an 5 X 5 bull elk very close on a mountain trail. I backed up a little and my guide climbed a little higher beside the trail. I had my Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 -8 scope set on 2.5. The guide made a soft call, the elk walked directly toward me and I shot him in the chest as he faced me. The low power of my scope was perfect. Later in the hunt I shot a black bear at 400+ yards with the scope set at 8 power. Even if I didn't have the bear license, the higher power may have been necessary for elk if we had not encountered that bull so close to us on the mountain side. I have a 1-4 variable scope on my Rem. 870 with a rifled barrel. I keep it set at 1 -2 power most of the time, especially in a tree stand. While hunting alone on foot I adjusted the scope to about 2.5. That adjustment helped me take a nice 10 point whitetail quartering away at roughly 125 yards with one shot in the chest. Variable works! :)

deadcoyote

I really cant weigh in on this too much. I live where hunting is close in, woods and brush. I use irons still (gasp!). I use a fixed 2.5x scope on my patrol rifle, and everyone thinks i'm nuts since they all have cool red dots with swing up magnifiers and cool stuff.

I had tried a fixed 4x for my work rifle and it was too much. I still held onto it and have thought about buying a .308 bolt gun and using it for hunting. I'm just too much of a cheap skate!