Scopes with Target Knobs

AR-10

I'm going to be up-grading the scope on my AR-10 A-4 carbine between now and Spring.

I have a newbie question regarding expensive scopes. What do target knobs do?

I'm looking at something along the line of a Leupold Vari-X III 6 1/2-20X50. Do I want Adjustable Objective or side focus? Do these two features perform the same function?

I want a scope that will function well on a .308 at ranges from 50yds. to 400yds.

Any instruction and suggestions would be appreciated.

C.R.Sam

Target knobs are more sticky outy. Supposedly easier to hang up on brush n stuff when in the boonies. They are neat for target work. Just reach out and grab a handfull of knob to make corrections for wind etc. If you are in a match that has long strings and allows you to fire sighters during the match......target knobs allow you to keep sight zero as barrel heats. You can stay locked into the sling and make the adjustments without breaking your gun hold.

Capped field knobs harder to adjust but more resistive to the elements and catchin on things.

Sam

AR-10

Sticky outy may not be so good, now that you mention it. I'm thinking more "Tactical", as in "won't break off" when I "fall down".

Any thoughts on side focus?

John Marshall

If you are like me, you're more apt to smash/break the front bell/lense during one of those "Tactical Fall-Down" maneuvers than break off a target knob. :)

If you check out a few of the more "expensive" scope manufacturers you will find some have less "sticky outy" knobs than others. Some are only slightly higher than the standard field type knobs with the addition of a more graspable cap. Unfortunately, you do need the added height to accomodate the elevation/windage setting markings.

What Sam says about adjusting elev./windage while staying locked into your sling is also the big advantage about the side focus feature over the adjustable objective type scope. All adjustments can be made with the shooting hand while the "gun platform" stays in one position.

El Rojo

I have the Leupold 6.5-20x50mm Long Range Target scope with adjustible side focus. I love it. The side focus is ever so handy. I have it on my Remington Model 700 VS in .308. I have shot matches with it up to 800, 900, and 1000 yards. I actually had to get a 20 MOA tapered base to reach out past 800. I love the target knobs personally. It makes adjusting during matches so much easier. And then if I want, I can easily adjust for different loads. Say I want to take it hunting, I just make the quick elevation adjustments and it is done. And if I shot it more, I would at know distances I would do even better on my range guess work. I did a good job the other day when I was messing around. I knew this gong was about 300 yards out. I knew from previous experience that I had raised my elevation about 18 clicks from my 100 yard zero to get to 300 yards. I moved it up 16 clicks real quick and squeezed the trigger. Ping. Hit on the first shot.

If you have the money, I highly recommend this scope. If you don't have the money, put it on layaway or use the credit card. You need one now! Natchez has them on sale this month.

yankytrash

If you don't have the money, put it on layaway or use the credit card. You need one now!
I was wondering what the name of the little devil sitting on my left shoulder was. It was El Rojo!!!!! :D

Watchman

Generally, target scopes have more adjustment in them that standard scopes. This is only an advantage at the longer ranges. Most scopes run out of adjustment around 600 yards depending on the caliber. The Leupold taticals have around 60 minutes of adjustment as compared to 45minutes for most scopes and as little as 30 minutes for the cheaper ones.

For most shooting, target scopes are not needed. If youl like to shoot along ways off (more than 600 yards) you might want a target scope.

The newer Leupolds that have the side focus are great scopes. It seems to be a little more convient than the standard bell objectives when bench rest shooting. Plus, if you have scope caps on your rifle, they will stay in the same position when you adjust your range of focus. I have a Redfield LE with the bell focus on my .308 tatical rifle, when you rotate the bell the scopecaps go with it. Its not a real problem other than the fact that it looks dorky when your scope caps are up and off to the left or right. I always reach over and center them up .It just looks off centered if I dont...it's the principal of the thing ya know ?:)

AR-10

Thanks for the replies and information.

My AR-10 is a flat top with high rise rings which give me plenty of room for a 50mm objective lens. I thought about lower rings, but I am more comfortable shooting with a scope at the height that mine is now.

Although the .308 is good for 800yds. or better, around here I would have a hard time finding 500yds. of open space to shoot. Maybe I don't need to go all the way on this scope purchase. I'll look at a scope with standard knobs and possibly side focus and see if I can find something suitable along those lines.

Thanks again for the imput.