Scoped A3 type ARs

Stopdropnroll

Getting ready to buy my first 20" AR upper...I am considering getting an A3...If I should remove the hnadle and put a scope on...won't the front sight now be in theway of the scope? Please be gentle...this is all new to me. SDnR ;)

fed168

Alot depends on what you want from the upper. Should you choose the scoped option, get the flattop upper. It is way sturdier and easier to shoot than to put the scope on the handle (not a good spot weld on the stock, scope being too high). You need to get rings that mount the scope above the front sight, or the following should offer a solution. Bushmaster, I think, makes an upper without the front sight, just the block. At any rate, Smith Enterprises, it is in the Dillon catalog, offers a front gas block (?) that is minus the front sight. GG and G offers a front sight that folds down, kinda built with your question in mind. The front sight does get in the way of the reticle, as I found out playing with that option.

Banzai

Won't matter one bit!!

Due to the depth of field of the scope, also called focus legnth, it will focus WAY beyond where the front sight base would interfere with it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth a hoot to anyone as a "scope", but might make a nice magnifying glass to read the paper! I have an A3 like you're talking about, also with a detachable carry handle. When I get froggy, it gets a 3-9x32 Simmons. Works wonderfully!!!

Tom

k in AR

SDnR,
On the "flat top" I use a 6.5-20 when the carry handle isn't on it. Front sight, no problem! Just get a proper scope mount that is designed for the flat top ARs and enjoy! If you can't find one locally, Brownells has them. k

Willy

Armalite makes a nice one piece scope mount that, if you look around, you can get for $65. List on them is about $95. I think that Armalite has them on sale on their site for their "expansion sale". I just bought my second one from Model 1 sales for that amount. With my 4.5-14 Leupold on my flat top AR set at 4.5 I don't see the front sight. I have heard that anything over 3X, you will not see the front sight. I would not suggest trying to mount a scope on a flat top AR over the height of the front sight.

B-Square also make a similar set-up. Colt sold them with their brand name on them as well. Here is a picture:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=89211&a=9691292&p=34092453

[Edited by Willy on 02-04-2001 at 12:04 AM]

Gewehr98

The front sight is in the sight plane, yes, but as Banzai stated, the depth of field is way past the front sight, you might get the slightest of shadow, but you'll really not notice it. I have a preban Colt Competition HBAR, and it wears an ARMS #5 scope base, Millett rings, and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Law Enforcement VariX-III. When I switch over to the local High Power matches, even though I can't compete for sanctioned score (a sore spot between myself and the NRA rules committee), I still pop on the A3 carry handle and compete for fun, then when I get home, the scope and base goes right back on, piece of cake, and no change in zero.

Here's a pic of the rig:

http://www.geocities.com/gew98.geo/Colt.jpg

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
SDR,

Like everyone said, with a flattop the focal length of the scope will cause the front sight to "disappear".

The only problem I've had with mine is that I've got a Tritium front post. When I put on a Night Vision Scope I have to tape up the front post or else the "light" from the Tritium bleed out the immage in the NVS.

Stopdropnroll

Well...based on the responses I have ordered my first 20" Bushmaster with the A3 configuration....For now I am out of money to scoping it....but now at least I have the option later...and that is what I am looking to do....make the few weapons I own: Quality and versitle.

I have to scope my Rem 700 BDL SS 30.06 first.

Thanks for all your help, I have learned quite a bit here and saved time, money and frustration based on your comments.

SDnR ;)

Mouse Gun

Gewehr98: Why wouldn't your rifle qualify under match rifle rules? Now as far as CMP goes, your rifle is not legal for competition as you stated.

Brian

Gewehr98

That's what I meant, sorry for being misleading, CMP sanctioned Service Rifle rules don't allow for rifles with detachable handles. I find it odd, considering the current issue M4 carbine has a detachable carrying handle. They waived the bayonet lug and flash hider to encourage competition with the same style rifle, I have no idea why the detachable carrying handle with iron sights is such a problem...