Scoped .454 Casull

Big Yac

I have a Ruger SRH 9.5" .454 Casull. It shoots great but I've long been thinking about adding a scope. At what distance should I sight it in? I'm deer hunting in the woods of Ohio and I wouldnt be taking any long shots anyways, so I'm thinking 50 yards? Or is it better to sight in at 100 yards? I dont know which load I'll use yet but most likely a 395gr cast lead bullet at a moderate velocity.

Steve in PA

Don't have one in .454 Casull, but I do hunt with a scoped SRH in .44 Magnum. I have mine sighted dead on at 100 yards.

Edward429451

Interesting. I got a scope with mount with my mdl 83 when I got it. I am not the type of guy to want to scope a handgun so it gathers dust.

It is a stainless colored scope & mount, a Leupold M8-2X EER. I do not know the brand of mount but presume it to be a good tough one because it is for my 454 Casull.

It's too late to do pics tonight, but if you are interested I will take a few pics tomorrow and cut you a good deal for it. PM me.

dawico

Sight it in for the average shot you will take, and then test it at different distances, closer and further.

BIG P

I use SRH 7.5 454 with a 2.5-8x28eer Nikon I Zero at 75yards for hogs but its not alot of trouble to do 150 yards either.

jeepster11

what part

of ohio you from? i hunt south east ohio hocking county i love it. i use 460 and trust me if your good a 50 its on like donkey kong no need really for 100 but if its on at 50 im pretty sure it will be good at 100 with that much power

22-rimfire

I have mine sighted in at 50 yds but I have shot it out to 100yds, so I have some idea where it will be hitting at that range. Oh, it's a 9.5" 480 Ruger SRH. I have a 2x EER Leupold scope on mine with the Ruger rings and bases. Loktite the bases. Mine shot loose after only a few rounds.

Scopes take some getting used to on handguns. I use a monopod in the woods. I try to take shots from support, but decided you can't always depend on a tree nearby or being able to move much if you are "still hunting" when a shot opportunity comes up. Hence, the monopod adjusted to the proper height whether I be walking, stalking, standing, or sitting. I'm not a great shot without a rest.

Big Yac

jeepster, I hunt Tuscarawas County, but I also hunt alittle in Madison County...the county just west of Franklin. I figured 50 would be fine too but had a though of splitting 50 and 100 and sighting in for 75 yards. Tusc counties terrain is alot like where you hunt so I'm sure our type of shots would be similar. Ever look for another person to hunt with?

big al hunter

I also hunt with a Super Redhawk 7.5" 454 scoped. Recoil destroyed the first scope I tried in less than 1 year. I have had my burris on it for 4 years no problems. I have the 2-7x32 with posi-lock. It has a screw on the side that locks the reticle to protect it from heavy recoil. Also has a ballistic plex reticle that has bullet drop compensation hash marks. I sight in at 50 yards then the first hash mark under the main crosshair is on the money at 100 yards. It has marks in 50 yard increments to 250 yards. I have only shot it to 200 yards. I won't shoot at game beyond 100 though, it is hard to hit at 200 with that short barrel. both the deer I have taken with handguns have been under 50 yards.

FYI the 260 grain loads I use it is nearly a perfect match to the BDC reticle, but the difference between 50 and 100 yards is 6 inches! could equal a bad hit with a standard reticle. Look it up on the burris optics website. I love mine clear and bright, and takes a beating!!