Scope vs Iron sights theory....

blume357

I need some clarrification here...

I've recently started shooting a rifle a good bit. This is a 10/22 standard factory barrel and trigger group with high scope that I can still see the iron sites through the rings. My targets at both 50 & 100 yards are 9" paper plates with a quarter size dot in the middle. I got pretty good pretty fast with the scope at 50 yards (all in or just around the dot) so I moved to 100 yards and the rounds were all over the plate (4-5" groups) but not bad for a near sighted boy. Well the other day I went back to 50 yards and could't do much better than 4" groups with the scope so I decided to use the iron sights again. I can't really see the quarter size dot on the plate at 50 yards using the iron sights just kind of have to guess and squeeze...
well here's the deal...with guessing and squeezing using the iron sights I can do 2" groups and almost 1" groups!
Here's my theory...the barrel is moving with each shot and different heat and since the scope is on the reciever the shots spred out. But when using the sights, they move with the barrel and everything stays in line? Am I on track with this...that unless you've got a high end barrel and scope with dern good mount you are going to be better off (within a certain distance) with iron sights?

Picher

The fact that initially, you got better groups with the scope at 50 yards means that the potential was there. If you haven't removed the action from the stock to clean the rifle, I'd check whether the scope mounts are loose, or the scope defective. Try a different scope, or try that scope on another rifle to see if it's okay.

If you did take the rifle apart, you may not have tightened the action screw to the same tension it had when it was shooting well. As with all blow-back autoloaders, the bolt face must be kept clean for best accuracy.

The other possibility is that the barrel mounting bracket might be loose, but I'd bet on the scope/mounts as the problem.

Hope this helps.

Picher

Houndog

I'm with Picher. Sounds like the problem is scope related. Most likely suspect is that something is loose. Check rings, rail if its mounted on the gun, etc. Might also try doing the box drill with scope.

Wild Bill Bucks

I Have an old 10/22 that I have had since they first came out. It has the same scope on it that it was bought with. I have done no upgrades on it at all since it was bought. I sighted it in at 30 yards, and it hasn't been adjusted since. Sometimes I will shoot the rifle 500 or 600 times in a single afternoon, and have never had any problem with heat from the barrel being transfered to the scope.
Be sure you have your ocular ring adjusted to your eye-sight, and all the screws are tight. If nothing is moving, you should be able to put 10 shots in a nickel, off a good rest at 50 yds.
If you can't do that with your scope, it is time to look for another scope.
Also be sure you are using a good quality ammo. If you are using "Discount House" ammunition, it may not group as well.

Spahrtan

First of all, i love iron sights. And find that im tremendously better with them up to about 150 yards. But my eyes are fairly good. My 10/22 is the only rifle i have a scope on, and i was having similar problems. the problem for me was that i was using cheap rings that were sliding on the base, so the scope was migrating backwards towards my eye. My solution was to just bang the thing back up to the place i have marked on the mount (with a sharpie). But the better idea might be to get better rings.

The rings aren't necessarily your problem of course, thats just what was wrong with my similar situation.