Scope suggestions?

K-9

I'm looking for a reasonably priced ( $50-$100)scope for a Marlin 60SS. It'll be used for plinking and casual target shooting from 10-100yds. Thanks.

Redneck2

scope

Everyone seems to always go toward Tasco and Simmons vs the higher end Leo's, Burris, etc. I have several Bushnell's on lower end guns and they work fine. Had lots better luck than Simmons but lots of guys here like Simmons. Bushnell is waterproof, my Simmons 44 Mag is definitely not. My Bushnell Sportchief 4x handles the recoil of my 870 with 3" slugs.

Try Midway (they have some SUPER prices on special stuff) and Widener's at http://wideners.com.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A good test for a variable-power scope is to first find your best ammo for a minimum group. Then, fire one shot at max magnification, followed by one shot at least magnification. If the two holes are within the dimensions of your best group, you know the scope is okay.

As near as I can tell, any brand's scope selling for around $100 will give good service. This assumes some 3X9 (or 2X7 or 3.5X10) variable, without "bells and whistles".

FWIW, Art

700PSS Shooter

Bushnell Sportview 3-9

Try the Bushnell Sportview 3-9X32 or 3-9X40. The 32mm objective can be found for under $49 as the Sportview line is being replaced by the Sportsman line. I have used them on .22RF, a Mini-14, and various leverguns in .30-30 and .35 Remington without a problem.

Swamp Yankee

Can't speak for the new Bushnells but I've got an old Bushnell Banner 4X on my .22 'coon rifle.

To make a short story long, when I first got into hunting raccoons 25 years ago, went out and bought a used Winchester bolt action from a friend of mine for $40. My partners told me whatever you use is going to get beat to crap while you're out stumbling in the woods at night. When I went for a scope I told the dealer its intended purpose, that it had to have good optics as the only light was from the Wheat Lights, be waterproof, withstand the rigors of night hunting, and above all be cheap as its expected life was only a couple of years. He handed me the little 4X Banner and I gave him $29.99 plus tax.

That Banner is still mounted on the Winchester today. It's missing most of its finish, the lenses are scratched but serviceable, and there are a few dents in the tube. I check the zero on it from time to time but guess what, the adjustment caps have never been off that scope in the past 25 years. No idea how many raccoons that scope has accounted for in the past but its far from done.

Anyway this is my long winded recommendation for Bushnell as an inexpensive scope.
Take Care

Ewok_Guy

I've had some great experiences with Bushnell. Good quality for the money. Tasco, BSA, Simmons, etc.. are much lower quality but offer some OK "deals". Go with either Bushnell or Leupold- they're about the same quality and have similar prices. Of course there are some very high quality scopes out there that would beat these 2 choises, but I wouldn't recommend putting them on something like a Marlin!
70PSS Shooter: Your right on target with the Sportview idea! I've got one on my Marlin 60SB and it serves me very well.

MADISON

Bushnell "Sportsview" scopes

The wife and I have Bushnell "Sportsview" scopes on our varment guns [223, 22-Hornet and 22 LR. The one we have on our Ruger rifles, requires high rings. Consider the 4x12x40
OA. It will focus down to 15, instead of the 40 yards that most scopes are designed for.
MADISON

Poodleshooter

If you can stretch your budget to $135, Natchez usually has Simmons Aetec scopes on sale for that amount. Barring that, I really like the Simmons .44Mag. I have both scopes. They transmit a bit more light than the Bushnell and Tasco scopes that I have.

Bob Locke

I've got Tasco World Class scopes on my Savage 110 Tactical and my Tikka Whitetail Hunter. Both shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards. They're both 3-9 x 50mm, and I paid about $125 for each of them. That's a bit much for a .22 (IMO), but I've had nothing but good results from the Tasco's that I've had over the years.