Scope Saver?

Picher

After my son's dog knocked his scoped deer rifle onto the floor and bent the scope tube, I wondered how the damage might be prevented. This is an issue with longer scopes with large objectives that stick out beyond the forward mount. A third support for the tube could save a hunting trip.

Yesterday, I reasoned that an epoxy putty placed between the barrel and scope objective could prevent such an accident. Plumber's putty seems like a logical choice, as it can be molded to fit both barrel and scope objectives.

A release compound would prevent the epoxy from becoming a permanent "fix". My choice would be neutral paste shoe polish, a favorite of mine for epoxy bedding jobs. Allowing some slippage would minimize POI changes due to temperature.

I'd use my fingers to indent the sides of the shim to make it more attractive. White vinegar can be used to clean up uncured epoxy smears on both surfaces prior to setting. Magic Marker or other coloring could be used to best match barrel and/or scope.

The added bonus is that, if placed close to the end of the scope, it would prevent twigs from being lodged between barrel and scope.

Besides aesthetics, does anyone envision a problem with this concept, (except for adjustable objectives)?

EchoM70

My biggest concern would be barrel vibrations being transferred directly into the scope via the wedge and destroying the internals of the scope.

It could also affect barrel harmonics, which can affect accuracy.

hooligan1

Picher it wont work, give the dog to a neighbor, and the young man needs to start doing odd jobs for an allowance and replace the scope and then protective handling and storing of firearms would be At length with the tyke.

Picher

The dog was a "one-shot" situation despite his missing a nice buck right after it happened.

No, people sometimes are not very careful when on a hunting trip and just a little bump on the objective or eyepiece can throw a scope off. The eyepiece is better protected by the stock, but the objective often hangs out there farther and more prone to bumping.

Regarding barrel vibrations, there minimal at the end of the scope, due to barrel diameter and closeness of the receiver. That shouldn't be a problem for a large game hunter, hitting the objective on something when climbing up rocks, etc. could be more likely.

Anyway, I may try it soon.

Blindstitch

Simple solution is a gunrack off the ground. And of course a back up gun just in case if the one in question doesn't have open sights.

Nathan

They make more durable scopes then that....not sure what he is replacing, but a hunting scope ought to be a better scope. I'm not sure epoxy out front helps much....

reynolds357

Go look at high speed photography of the big scopes during firing. They whip like a noodle. Put a contact point between the scope and barrel and it would be a sure fire recipe for destroying a scope.

If you are really worried about the tube getting bent, many of the new "AR" branded scopes from many different manufacturers are made from steel tubes. I have no idea why, but they are.

Picher

Scopes wouldn't whip so much if they had a third "leg". Most hunting scopes aren't as long as varmint or target scopes. The 3-9X scopes are probably the most popular and stick out less than 3" from the receiver.

Steel scope tubes are much stronger than many of today's aluminum ones. That's why AR scopes may be made from steel.

wild willy

A little off topic what brand scope?Did you contact them?I know some manufacturers will sell you a replacement scope at reduced cost even when its totally your fault.I guess some might even replace it for free.

Picher

I think it was a Bushnell, but I've since fixed it with a rubber mallet and a soft pad. The internals weren't damaged, so three "educated" whacks with the mallet and it's on another rifle, working fine.

Jimro

I once mounted a scope to a weaver rail using three scope rings. The rifle fell and the body stayed nice and straight, but the objective bell cracked off.

When you make one part extra strong, you just move the most likely break point to the next weakest link.

Jimro

hoghunting

Scopes wouldn't whip so much if they had a third "leg".

You need to do a search for a high speed video on firing a rifle and you will be surprised how much the barrel and receiver whip during firing. But it's your rifle, so strap it or support it any way you want, I'll stick with bases and rings.

Snyper

Having a scope in direct contact with the barrel is NOT a good idea.
When the barrel heats or cools, the scope will move, and POI will change

Picher

I'd normally agree with you, Snyper, but we're talking about mostly deer rifles that get banged around and don't have to be super accurate. I wouldn't do it for my longer-range rifles.

reynolds357

Picher,
Unless your scope is just ridiculously too big for your rifle, I do not know why you are having a problem.
1. Extended base work?
2. Extended ring work?
3. One piece integrated base ring combo?

Picher

I'm not having a problem, but my son's scope was bent when it was standing against the wall and fell on the floor when his exuberant dog hit it.

I was also thinking about a couple of my rifles when the grandkids use them because I've seen how they've knocked them around at times, even with their dads around.

When I use the rifles for hunting after the kids used them, I worry about whether I'd miss or wound an animal, so they're out of service until I can check their zero.

reynolds357

The rifles can be knocked out of zero without being hit hard enough for their scope tubes to bend.
Of course, yo can try doing what you are talking about. I assuree you the barrel harmonics are going to destroy the scope.

Snyper

I'd normally agree with you, Snyper, but we're talking about mostly deer rifles that get banged around and don't have to be super accurate. I wouldn't do it for my longer-range rifles.
Everyone who has responded has given you logical reasons why it's a bad idea.
It's obvious you just want someone to agree, so here's what you want to hear:

Go for it!
It will work fine

Any other advice is a waste of effort