scope rings for Browning 1885 single shot?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Stop by McBride's. :)

Any of the major brands will work just fine. Being a cheapskate, I've mostly used Weavers, since they have worked well for me since way back when. Heck, back when Jack McBride was alive, and Joe had hair. :)

NoSecondBest

1885 High Wall or Low Wall? Some of the Brownings were not drilled and tapped for a base. I bought a Low Wall and had to get it drilled and tapped. You may have trouble getting a base for the gun. The front and rear are not on the same plane due to the difference in height from the receiver mounted base and the barrel mounted front base. One piece bases can be found if you know where to look. Which is it and i what caliber? Do you know if it's drilled and tapped for a scope?

stubbicatt

I just had the barrel drilled and tapped for appropriate bases for my Fecker scope. Zero the scope, note the settings, and keep that with the rifle. This way I can use the scope on any number of rifles with a simple adjustment.

NoSecondBest

When I got my Browning Low Wall two years ago, I couldn't find a set of mounts anywhere for it even though everyone advertised them for sale. A call to Leupold revealed that they cataloged them but hadn't made any for quite a while. I started calling gun shops to see if anyone had them in stock. I finally found a place that had a set (very old stock) and I got them. Maybe things have changed but I doubt it. Miroku makes both the Browning and Winchester 1885s and they don't make very many anymore. There are some other sets available that are a one piece base and will work......check Winchesters web site and it's buried in there somewhere. The Leupold set will work if you can find a set but may require a shim to get it just right. Again, see if the gun is drilled and tapped to begin with. My Browning was not. FWIW, getting 14,000 hits on a Google search doesn't mean there's 14,000 places to buy or that what you're looking for is actually available. Start calling and see how many actually have the product. Good luck, they're fantastic guns. Very accurate and well made. Well worth the money.