scope ring question?

old fart

I just got a new Savage Axis with a Weaver scope and went to shoot it today. I got it set after 6 shots then 2 more for sure and headed home. When I got home I saw one side of the rings space not even on both sides, I checked and one screw on each ring was a little less than a half round out. It has one screw per side per ring, I checked before retighten and couldn't move scope and went and retightened, one averaged almost 1/2 round, one was a little less than that, the other two were still tight. I called Savage and they said they loctite blue the bases but not the rings as people may want to change them. Did I lose my setting? I am thinking with scope still tight I might be ok but I have never run into this. With the weather coming in I can't reshoot before I am supposed to go coyote hunting Friday morning.

Rob228

The only way to tell for sure is to shoot it. It may not have shifted at all or it may be way off.

I ran into a similar issue with a Winchester 94 in .450 Marlin, all of a sudden it stopped holding groups and it turns out the scope had moved back almost a quarter inch under recoil.

If you can, pull the bolt and look down the barrel at something around 100 yards away then move up to the scope and see if the crosshairs are on the same object. It'll get you close.

std7mag

Tightened it, how?

Had i found that, i would have loosened the ring caps & reset, using a torque wrench.
I also don't use rings with only 1 screw per side.

Pahoo

I think you should be okay, for now !!!

Did I lose my setting? I am thinking with scope still tight I might be ok but I have never run into this.
I hope I'm reading this right and my SWAG on this is that you have not lost your "sight" settings. What I am understaning is that your scope rings are "somewhat" loose. So, you may have lost you verticle axis and possibly eye-releaf. The only problem I see is that your rings halves are coming loose. May I suggest you index your rings to the tube of the scope. I do this by lightly markring a line on the top ring and another on the tube, in alignment. Also mark your front and rear rings and remove them and reinstall, using the cross
tightnen method until all screws are firm. check you lines and continue to tighten. You really do not need or use any lock-tite. Alternating the and torqiing the screws would be nice but most folks don't have or use a torquing device..;)

If you can, finish the season and check your shots. After the season, buy and instal some better rings. .... :rolleyes:

Please let us know how yo make out and;
Be Safe !!!

old fart

UPDATE!! I had a friend come by and go help me fire a few rounds and he ask me a few questions. Was both sides of rings loose? No. Was the rings loose on base? No. Was the scope able to move or turn? No. I told him just one side screw on each ring was about half round loose before getting tight. He said everything gonna be right on still, said he would bet 2 brick of 22lr against 1 box of 308 ammo that he was right. Well knowing my luck, I knew I would win the bet. We went and dog gone it, I owe him a box of 308, the scope was still set right where I left it. I guess just a slight retighten won't affect zero as long as the scope ain't loose. Thanks everyone.

TX Nimrod

… ran into a similar issue with a Winchester 94 in .450 Marlin, all of a sudden it stopped holding groups and it turns out the scope had moved back almost a quarter inch under recoil….

Scopes do not move backwards under recoil, they move forward. I assume the poster made a typo.

Blindstitch

Here's my rule. If you buy a new gun, used gun or in some cases get borrowed a gun assume there might be a fault until you check it. Kind of like assuming all guns are loaded till otherwise.

If you buy new it should never be trusted. Take it apart and clean everything then reinstall with loctite to the correct torque.

Same rule for used especially if you never shot it yourself. But you can test tightness first. I get a lot of used guns with the crosshairs rotated and that drives me nuts.

If it's a borrow gun I would shoot it first and if it hold solid run with it. If it's ugly treat as new.