Scope Ring Height for T3x?

Swifty Morgan

Does anyone here know the correct ring height for a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor? I have one on the way. Will probably put a 50mm scope on it.

jmr40

The exact ring manufacturer will make some difference. Sometimes you can make medium's work with a 50mm scope, but most brands will need high rings. The type of base matters too. I'd go with highs if you insist on a 50mm scope to be sure.

But you don't really gain much with a 50mm scope over a 40mm scope. Except spend a lot more money and have a heavier scope. I have low rings on my Tikka and a 40mm scope.

Theoretically a 50mm scope transmits more light. But the scopes magnification along with objective size go hand in hand. And the human eye can only use so much light, the rest is wasted.

A 40mm scope set on 8X transmits exactly the same amount of light as a 50mm scope set on 10X. And at those magnifications both are letting in all the light a human eye can use. On lower magnifications both are letting more light though than a human can take advantage of.

A 3-9X40 scope will be less than optimal on 9X magnification. A 3-9X50 scope will offer some small advantage only on 9X. At lower magnifications you'll never see any difference. If you were to go to a 4-12X50 scope you'd have a small advantage only at 9X and 10X. Above 10X and you have less than optimal light transmission.

For me, the added costs, size, and weight of a 50mm scope don't justify the small gains.

Swifty Morgan

It seems like it's not easy to find an MRAD scope with less than 14x, so I thought I'd settle for that. I want mils because that's what I am trained to use.

603Country

You can call the folks at Warne and tell them which rifle and scope you have and they will tell you what rings to order. Maybe other ring and mount folks will do the same, but I don’t know.

T. O'Heir

There is no correct ring height for a Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. Like jmr40 says, it's the front ocular possibly being 50mm that will determine the right height.
The question is why do you think you need a 50mm ocular?
Higher magnification means you have a smaller field of view at 100 plus yards. Doesn't matter much for target shooting, but does for hunting. A 50mm scope will likely be a heavy thing too.

Swifty Morgan

As I said, I want an MRAD scope, and it's not easy finding one with low magnification. I would like a big objective lens because I want as much light as I can get, but I am not married to the idea.

Swifty Morgan

I found a scope with a nice minimum magnification and an MRAD reticle, but it has a 50mm objective. It's the Athlon Ares BTR GEN2 2.5-15×50 APLR3 FFP IR MIL HD. The high magnification is higher than I want, but the low magnification sounds good.

Swifty Morgan

Not only does the scope fit with 0.87" rings; it fits with room to spare. And it's not heavy. The gun itself is only about 6 pounds, so I'm not concerned about being weighed down.