Scope Repair

Tom-C

I know they are "lubricated for life" and I should not be considering it, but I have a Weaver V-4.5 (1.5 to 4.5 variable) that the power ring is very difficult to turn. Iron Sight Inc will be happy to overhaul it for $85.00, but I can replace the scope for less than that. It lives on a Remington 521T that is mostly used for training and events like Women on Target.

I have had the objective lens off and I can just see the two parts that move. Any suggestions on what lube and/or procedure to use?

Thanks

Scorch

Since you've had the objective lens off, the scope is no longer sealed (if it was sealed at all after that long). I would recommend setting it on a shelf and getting a replacement. Even cheap scopes nowadays are better than the good scopes from 30+ years ago because of higher quality lenses and lens coatings. You can buy a Pine Ridge scope from Cabela's and get fairly good optics for under $100, or buy a new Weaver rimfire scope for just slightly more.

PetahW

[I have had the objective lens off]

EVERYbody's an expert, until they get in over their head. :rolleyes:

While I've fixed many a firearm, I would no more open up a scope than I would attempt to do my own brain surgery. :D

To quote Clint: "A man's GOT to know his limitations ! "

George R

There's a great little book "Guide to Riflescope Repair" by J.W. Seyfried, published by University Optics, Inc. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll loan you my copy.

Tom-C

Alleykat, The Weaver warranty is only good for Weaver scopes currently being imported. Weaver El Paso scopes are not covered. The same for Ultra-Dot scopes with a "lifetime" warranty. It only covers Ultra dots that have been imported by the current importer. BTW Iron Sight does a full overhaul for $85.00, but they said the current backlog is 7 to 10 months. My lenses are clear and the only problem is turning the power ring

Scorch, I did an article for Naval Engineer's Journal about 20 years ago on nitrogen purging and sealing of Tomahawk missiles. We spent a huge amout of money each year to ensure a 5 psi positive pressure of nitrogen in the missile cannister. I set up the test so we had 2 of each, Purged N2 pressurized, Purged N2 and not pressurized and purged with dry air and not pressurized. We then ran them for a month with the temp, baro pressure and relative humidity varing widely while we monitored internal pressure/temp and rRelative humity. Just drying out the air inside the canister did most of what we needed at a huge savings in manpower and costs.

The chances that this scope retained any of the original nitrogen charge after 45 years is nil. Since this is not going to be a hunting or defense scope it will not be a problem anyway. When I take scopes apart I warm them with a heat gun. That lowers the relative humidity inside and then I screw the objective lens on. I have not had one fog, but again they are used indors or on ranges with cover.

George R. I would love to see that book, but since Amazon lists it used for $310.00, If you would sir, please just tell me what they recommend for internal lubricant.

George R, I help coach a High School Rifle Team and I have lots of experience with wounderfull modern (inexpensive) scopes. I have 2 or 3 fall apart every year and to date I have been able to fix all but 2. Lenses and prisims come loose and tripod mounts strip. I had a BSA 15 to 45 catseye that broke in half when the scope stand fell over. I made wood blocks to hold it in aligment and JB welded it back together. It is still going strong 5 years later. If you are putting lots of scopes on the shelf you might as well try and fix them, what do you have to loose?

The old scopes did not have as good coatings and they are not as bright, but they were made of glass and brass, not plastic and they last forever.

George R

Guide to Riflescope Repair

You can buy the book direct from UniversityOptics.com for $10 plus shipping. Or, I will undercut Amazon and sell you mine for $300:).

George R

Nitrogen filling

Tom-C sound like you are doing well with scopes. I've filled them with a Nitrogen spray can from The Wine Enthusiast 1 800 356 8466. The riflescope repair book shows you how to do it. It's a lot easier than installing a recoil spring on a Remington 742!

HiBC

I can appreciate,"If its getting hard to move,lube it",but in the case of scope parts,I'm not too sure.Any migration would be a disaster.

My question,I wonder if lack of lubrication is the issue? The problem dictates the solution.

I can think of 3 things for possibilities.If you have done anything lately with the rings or mounts,ring alignment and ring tightness can cause problems by bending or distorting the tube.

But,I think the most likely,there is an o-ring or some sort of seal involved with the variable control ring.It is a 40 year old elastomer.It can harden,crumble,swell,etc,which can create an interference condition.the other possibility might be a gummed substancelike WD-40 or linseed oil.

I remember getting the advise to never spray down a Rochester Quadrajet Carb with carb cleaner as the throttle shaft seals would swell and the vacuum secondaries would stick.Things happen!

I am interested in knowing who is the best all around scope repair,I may have some business for them.

Tom-C

GeorgeR, Thanks for the source for the book and the offer of a loan, I have one on the way (plus the Binocular book). I wonder if Scorch has any scopes "on the shelf" that he would let me have to practice on? LOL

NiBC, The Weaver 4.5V has about 2 inches between the cross hair turret and the power ring, The V4.5 is 1-inch steel tube, not a rimfire scope, this scope has spent most of its life on a rimfire with Weaver mounts. It was made back in the day when everything was solid and fit together, plus I don't tighten the screws on rimfire too much. I don't think it is distortion.

From what I can see inside, the power ring moves two brass blocks that slide in close fitting slits and move the lens to change the power. From further research, it appears that the grease of choice in optical instruments has been MIL-SPEC Avionics and Instrument grease. I volunteer at the Smithsonian Air and Space and have seen how hard 40 year old grease can get. I am thinking a tiny drop of Kroil from a hypodermic needle on the sliding blocks. I will wait on the book and proceed from there.

Scorch

I wonder if Scorch has any scopes "on the shelf" that he would let me have to practice on?
I actually sold my steel-tube Weavers right here on TFL about 2 years ago. They had been sitting around taking up space for so long I forgot about them until I took the V-6 rimfire scope off of the Nylon 66 I sold. So the V7, the K4, and the V6 all went to find a new home. Now I have nice, clear scopes to look through and I don't worry about a thing. I do have a Weaver V9-WF 3-9X Micro-Trak Widefield on my 223 . . .