Scope question for my 700 LTR .223

bullseye

I'm looking at installing a Burris scope on this rifle. I am impressed with Burris quality, price and offerings. I am trying to decide between the ballistic mil-dot and the regular mil-dot reticle. The Burris website has an illustration of both but it is hard to tell the difference. Does anyone know what the difference is and which would be better. I will probably be shooting at distances between 100 - 200 yds and want to be able to easily see my bullet holes at 200 yds. Any recommendations on magnification to accomplish this. I've been thinking something like 4-16x or 6-24x. I'd like enough magnification to easily hit quarter sized objects at 200 yds (with the right ammo and skill of course).

WalterGAII

I've got an el-cheapo, Tasco, World Class TS on my .223 Rem. VS, and it'll shoot dimes at 100yds. I have no doubts about quarters at 200. You should get the higher-power scope to be able to see your shots at 200 yds.

700PSS Shooter

I have always been partial to Leupold scopes. Primarily as no dealers near me carry Burris, and burris often has looooong eye relief and the rear lens (ocular) to adjustment knob distance can be pretty long, making for mounting problems on some models. On my LTR in .223 I have the Leupold 3-9X40 Tactical mil-dot.

I am also very impressed by the Tasco SS10X42 scope. Fixed 10X, Mil-dot, target knobs, crisp and clear. I had one on a .308 Remington 700PSS with not a single problem. All this for $299 at SWFA.

I routinely shot Necco wafers (nickel size) at 100.

The Leupold Vari-X II 6-18X40 is very nice for the detailed shots. I like them on accurate .22 rimfires. With the high power, mirage from a hot barrel can be a problem. Just the heat of the summer sun on the black barrel can cause mirage.

Good Luck!

Gewehr98

I'm partial to Leupolds, but for my 700PSS in .308, I went with the Sightron 4-16x42 Mil-Dot, and it's been a real sweetheart:

700pss.jpg

Why don't you do it the right way! Get the scope of your choosing for your rifle, then go buy a spotting scope. And, if you just looking for a bench rest scope, skip the mil dots and just get fine cross hairs. If you know the precise yardage, nothing will give you better accuracy.

Robert