Scope quality?

Te Anau

Unfortunately,theres no telling what quality of work will be performed should it ever need repair.A friend of mine just learned that the hard way.

AllenJ

I have one on my 300 Win Mag since the mid 90's. I have not had any problems with it at all and would not hesitate to get another.

hooligan1

Right on man,,, i gave only 260.00 for it, and it's the third Leupold that I have. It has a small scratch, but I haven't shot the rifle it's on... BTW it's the Zastava .243 win that I fixed up for my daughter,,, and later found out she couldn't shoot it... She's a lefty.. and it bothered her to fire it.:( so I told her I'd keep it for her,,,, and only shoot stuff with it.;)

P.S. it has the "Target Turrets" on it.

Last edited:

AllenJ

$260, deals like that rarely come around glad you were able to take advantage of it. My scope has been through rain and snow, 100 degree range days and never lost zero. It is exceptional bright in low light, well as far as hunting goes, and has never fogged up on me.

bamaranger

dandy

Leupold makes a great scope, and the VIII's are some of their best. If it ever does go sour, Leupold will fix it, bought used or not.

I've got 4 or 5 of the the VX-III 3.5-10x40mm, my opinion is that they are an excellent optic...

Unfortunately,theres no telling what quality of work will be performed should it ever need repair.A friend of mine just learned that the hard way.

Had one that was modified by a pack horse... Leupold fixed the problem at no charge... I've scopes modified by the custom shop and others serviced with 100% satisfaction...

taylorce1

I just picked up the same scope a couple months ago for $300. I really like the scope so far I just can't figure which rifle I want it on. Right now it is sitting on a .35 Whelen, but it is more scope than I need on that rifle. I just picked up a VX-II 2-7 for just over $200, but it has a target dot reticle and I'd have to change that for a hunting rifle.

Last edited:

BIG P

I have a vxII 3X9X50 on a AR-15 &A 3x10x40 on a 270win The high turrets makes it pretty easy to change yardage zero. I really like them very depenable scopes Have had mine for several years now no problems hope they work out for you also.

billnourse

I have VX-3's on all my rifles except the .22 with a Simmons and the .17HMR with a VX2. They are excellent scopes and for 260.00, you can make money any time you want to sell. Why can't I find deals like that???

Bill

hooligan1

Took it out today, and I'm real happy with this scope. I was saving up for another Vortex Diamondback, this purchase saved me about fifty bucks after shipping!!:)

Do you really mean "VXIII"?

Or, "Vari X III"?

The Vari X III is the oldest, with the VX III being one generation newer, and the VX 3 being the newest series.

I bought a used Vari X III, 3.5-10X40 AO, and sent it in to Leupold for inspection because the ocular lens housing looked bent. The original owner told me he had bounced it around inside a hard case carried on the handlebars of his ATV.

Leupold determined the innards were too badly damaged to be fixed: it being out of production (no new ones available), they offered me a new VX 3!:D.

I paid $250 for the Vari X III, and they gave me the VX 3 at no cost!(a $430 scope - 2.5-8X36 model):D;)

Gotta LOVE Leupold customer service.

bamaranger

target turrets

The big turrets allow easy adjustment w/o tools or a coin, something most sporter turrets once required. Many target models allow the calibration ring to be returned to a "zero" setting, allowing for on the spot dialing in of come ups and windage so that the shooter can hold "on", instead of "off" at long range. The scope can then be returned to zero easily in the same manner.

hooligan1

Thank you Bamaranger!! I figure it had some rezeroe value,,, just wasn't sure.:)

P. S. Major Dave, I'm an old 45L10..:)

hooligan1

Just an update fellas, a tech at Leupold tells me that this scope is "Target Tactical " model they made for LE back in early 90's,,, also says they have a good reputation for holding together..... thank god!!!:)

Attachments

• Leupold 3.5x10x40 VXIII 001.jpg
    Leupold 3.5x10x40 VXIII 001.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Leupold 3.5x10x40 VXIII 002.jpg
    Leupold 3.5x10x40 VXIII 002.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 14