Scope problems

Mike38

I have a Simmons Prohunter riflescope Model 7721, 6-18x40 A.O. mounted on a single shot .223. The scope is about 15 years old. Last time at the range the calibration ring (the markings from 50 yards to infinity) on the objective end came loose, and slid back to the mounting ring, kind of rattling around. A drop or two of super glue will cure it, but I have no idea where to place it. Do I turn the A.O. all the way to the right, and that’s 50 yards? The A.O. turns farther then the markings, so maybe placement is somewhere in between?

I called Simmons three days in a row now, and held on the phone for ten minutes or so then got discouraged and hung up. I can’t find a e-mail address to contact the service department, so I’m hoping someone knowledgeable can help me out.

I guess it has a lifetime warranty, but I hate to have to take it out of the rings, then rezero it when I get it back.

Thanks.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The most accurate way would be to actually look through it at known ranges....

Basically, least say that the closest range that's more or less clear is 75 yards and the farthest range is 125 yards... in that case, the parallax is probably set close to 100.

Pahoo

The most accurate way would be to actually look through it at known ranges....
Good advice for this is how you are going to use it, anyway. Keep in mind that these setting are just close or only an indication. Your eye will be the final measure. There are times when I have remarked the yardage marks with some tape lables.

Be Safe !!!

NavyLT

AO adjusts mostly parallax error, not focus, on good scopes anyway (not true of my Barska cheap scope, it affects focus a lot!). Your best bet would be to find a gun sled or a way to keep the gun steady while aimed at a known distance target such as 100 yards. Then move your eye around in a circular fashion while looking through the scope to see if the cross hairs appear to be moving around the target as well.

When the crosshairs move the least amount with your eye movement, that would be the least amount of parallax error and be the correct setting for the AO ring at that distance.

Smokey Joe

'Scope repair...

Mike 38--you said
I guess it has a lifetime warranty, but I hate to have to take it out of the rings, then rezero it when I get it back.
Well, (a) if it has a lifetime warranty, take advantage of it fer cripes' sake! Take the 'scope off the rifle, send it back, and let the manufacturer mess with it. (b) If you mess with it yourself, you will--I'm sure--void the warranty, and then where are you. (c) What's the big deal about re-zeroing the 'scope? So you have to shoot, adjust, shoot, adjust, etc.

FWIW, "the word" among knowledgeable shooters of my acquaintance is, that a Simmons is a piece of **** anyhow. Maybe this is a signal to you that it's time to pop for a "real" 'scope, for example a Leupold or an upper-end B&L.

Simmons not answering their "help" line might be construed as a sign of how much they value the users of their products.

Anyhow, good luck on getting the 'scope working again, one way or another. Please keep us posted on your results. :)

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
You're right LT, but I find that when the parallax is really out of whack it starts getting out of focus. Usually it's a lot, maybe 30-40% of of whack, but if you turn it until it's fuzzy one way and then the other and check the two then it's usually correct in the middle.

NavyLT

Yep, I see what you are saying, peetzakilla. But also on that, I know that when I set my AO for the correct yardage, only a certain range of magnificaiton will be clear as well - so the magnification setting would also affect setting the AO based on focus - at least on my scope.

FWIW, "the word" among knowledgeable shooters of my acquaintance is, that a Simmons is a piece of **** anyhow.

I've had nothing but cheap scopes. BSA, Simmons, Center Point and Barska. The Simmons was by far the worse of the bunch.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I know that when I set my AO for the correct yardage, only a certain range of magnificaiton will be clear as well - so the magnification setting would also affect setting the AO based on focus

I never noticed that. I'll have to see if my Mueller does that next time I'm out. That would complicate matters. If that's the case, your method would be easier for sure. I've never been real great at "seeing" parallax though, at least when it's minor.

Mike38

I do have Leupold scopes on two other rifles, but I just couldn't see paying $500 for a scope on a $200 single shot. :eek: I've had this scope and rifle for 15 years and it's been good to me all this time, well until now.

I was hoping someone had one and could tell me where to place the ring.

I'll do as suggested and actually look through it at known ranges, then give it a drop of super glue.

Thanks.