Scope problem??

kelbro

I had a problem with my son's .270 that I think may be scope related and would like some opinions.

Took the rifle to the range, shooting decent. 20 rounds 2-3" group.

Went back to the range a week later. Same ammo. All over the paper.

One week later, it's back to shooting decent.

His first shot at a deer, bullet hits a rock under the deer (about 20" low). No way to start a deer hunting career.

His second shot (at another deer) shot under it again. Losing even more confidence...

Immediately set up a target and fired 2 shots. They were touching, , dead on left to right but about 18-20" low. Third and fourth shots, dead on.

Mounts are tight, everything looks OK. Never had a scope failure so I don't know what the symptoms are.

Did I bust a reticle loose or something?

Oh yeah, for his third shot, he used my rifle. First deer, 50 yds, lung shot, deer only took 10 steps. Confidence in himself restored. Confidence in his rifle destroyed.

bill k

Good shot and congrats to your son. If it's a wood stock check for cracks in the bedding. Otherwise more than likely the scope.

cntryboy1289

congrats to the son

I had a rifle that shot the same way. It ended up being I had a broken ring where the ring attatches to the base. When a gun moves that much off, I would look first at the base or the rings. Good luck and let us know what you find.