Scope or not on a Browning SA-22?

reteach

Friend of mine inherited a Browning SA-22. From what I can tell, it was made in 1961. It was for sure made in Belgium. It's in beautiful condition. He agrees that he ought to shoot it some (and allow me to shoot it, too) but after that he thinks he might put it away in a vacuum sealed case and preserve it. Or, he might put a scope on it and shoot it a lot.

My questions are, what do you advise? Regardless of whether he shoots it, would mounting a scope on it take away value? For that matter, what is the value of a Belgian-made SA-22?

Thanks.

10-96

I guess some of the things to ask are:

What grade is it?
Has the PO ever shot it?
Does it already have holes tapped in top of the receiver for a scope base?

Those are just questions I suspect will come up. If it has been shot before, my take is to shoot it all you want. Nothing will ever bring it back to un-fired condition. If it has been taken care of, and will be taken care of (and already shot) the value wont decrease for a rather iconic firearm such as that.

Now if it's unfired, and especially if it has the box and papers- that's a whole nuther matter.

Personally, I would shoot it. I'm not a "Gun is Just a Tool" guy, but a "If I have it, I might as well shoot it" kinda guy.

mavracer

Unless it's NIB the Belgium guns don't bring much of a premium. As long as he retains the rear sight mounting a scope won't hurt the value, won't help either for that matter. I have a nice Japan made one I got from my uncle and I did try a scope to me it just added too much bulk to a sweet little package, the scope lasted a week and was removed.

What's the problem with shooting it a lot with irons?

reteach

10-96:
Not sure of the grade. It has been shot, there's no box. It's just in very good condition. I have been searching for more information about this particular rifle.

mavracer:
The only problem with shooting it with irons is that my friend's eyes are exactly the same age as mine, which is about a dozen years older than the rifle. At our age, we both find that optics are a big help.
I'm surprised that the Belgian label doesn't boost the value. The Japanese must have carried on with the same quality.

P.S. Thanks for the replies.

FrankenMauser

The reason for the lack of extra value for the Belgian guns is because there were so many of the SA-22 / BAR-22, and Remington 24 / 241s made ... and very few people want them, now. It just isn't a popular configuration.
Collectors want the "NIB"/"Like New" examples, especially if they're a rare variant. But outside of collectors, it's just an unpopular semi-auto .22.

And, of course, there's always the issue of malfunctions. Once the SA-22 / BAR 22 / 24 / 241 wears enough to start acting up, they turn into basket cases where you're constantly chasing your tail to identify and fix the latest problem. Those in the know pay as little as possible for used examples, and it drags the whole market down.

I have a 241 and like it. But no one has ever wanted to buy it for more than $180-200.
I'm not alone...
My preferred LGS has FOUR Browning SA-22s on the rack, two of them as a matched set with custom display case; plus a lightly-used BAR 22; as well as a Remington 24 and two 241s.
All but that matched set (fairly new addition) have been priced well, with all at least under $300 and several under $250. And not one of them has sold since the first time I walked in five years ago.

(I would have bought the 24, but both of the cartridge stops are worn. --Basket case.)

44 AMP

Staff
My bestest buddy from 8th grade through Army basic training had one (his dad's)

Slim, slender, (almost too thin and light) tube magazine in the butt (11rnds. if I remember right) bottom ejection, standard grade had an engraved receiver. Grooved receiver for the standard .22 clamp on 7/8" (Weaver) rings.

His was a takedown model, I no longer remember if they all were like that or if it was a special model. Latch under the barrel, just ahead of the ejection port, 1/4 turn and the barrel came off (interrupted thread).

Sweet little gun, total Browning class, all the way, fit, finish, and function. Accurate, too!

If you're going to scope it, don't use a modern 1" tube scope if you want to preserve the slim "period" look. And BE CAREFUL you don't slide the rings on the receiver and scratch the bluing!!!

Congrats, and enjoy!

Scorch

Yes, they are all take-down. And although they have kind of a cult following, most of the people who own one never shoot it (even though they are one of the sweetest guns around). They are a period piece (kind of like my Winchester 1903) and are not really user-friendly.

And I agree, if your friend is going to put a scope on it, get a small, compact scope, not a big monstrosity like I often see on 22 rifles. Remember, it's supposed to be a fun gun! Something like a Burris Speed Bead would be just about right, IMO.